Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mealy bugs on my orchids - help!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Real Name
    Susan
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal and Paph species

Getting rid of pests, especially mealies takes a lot of time and effort. If you don't have the time to pursue eradication, then starting over may be a good option for you. Sometimes disposing of badly infected plants and then concentrating on those less affected may help. Years ago I did that with a plant that came back from a show infected with scale . The infestation spread to a lot of plants, but to a lesser degree than the original source. That plant wasn't particularly dear to my heart so it was discarded. I almost did lose another plant I really liked, but ultimately it survived and I still have it. The rest of the plants did fine. I wish you luck in your decision.

Susan

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for your support on the grim decision that has to be made. I've lost almost half of my plants but the melies seem to be subsiding. I don't know if its from the relentless torment or the cooler weather on the window sill. I only find the odd one now ....but they are still there. Will they ever leave? Luckly they never spread off the window sills. Everything was washed and treated, replanted and roots trimmed. I'm waiting for spring and hope they will start to grow once again.

Real Name
    Howard
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything That Will Grow
    Member's Country Flag

Rick, I've read all the above posts and don't think I saw Merit Insecticide (Imidacloprid), Bayer Advanced or Premise mentioned. All three have the same active ingredient but in differing concentrations. Typically Merit is a granular product that you place on the medium while Bayer Advanced is a ready to use or concentrate liquid. These are systemic insecticides. You will have to treat for several weeks as you probably already know. There is another product which is more costly and hard to find called Safari 20 (http://www.valent.com/Data/Labels/20...m%201521-B.pdf) but this stuff is major poison so use major carefully!

Real Name
    michael k
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

Rick,

A very effective product is Flagship. I'm not aware if it is approved in Canada and it is expensive, but it works. It has translaminar, systemic and contact properties. The translaminar means that it is absorbed into the leaves. It also has enough lasting power that you don't have to repeat it. you also need a surfactant (capsil works well) to break the water tension and spread it out.

I used this on a neglected collection that had so much mealy you literally could not see some of the bottom part of the leaf through the white fluff. One application cleared it all up.

You need to protect yourself (mask and cover up exposed skin)when you use it. It is available from greenhouse supply houses.

As I said it is expensive. Maybe you can share it with others that are having an insect problem. One container is a lifetime supply as you use a very small amount per gallon.

Real Name
    Howard
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything That Will Grow
    Member's Country Flag

Real Name
    Susan
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal and Paph species

Just to be clear, these toxic insecticides should NOT be sprayed inside or around any areas where children or pets, or wildlife can get contact. I personally would not use them due to their toxicity and potential environmental effects, but that is just me.

Susan

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Member's Country Flag

Sorry I haven't posted for a while. I've lost all my ambition with these melies. I've lost then all........all my orchids are gone off my windowsill. I've washed, bathed, soaked and sprayed with no luck. Lets see these little ******* deal with fire. I'm so upset, theres not a tear for my orchids, just an overwhelming feeling of redemtion.

Revenge is sweat!!!!!

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    miniatures!
    Member's Country Flag

Use Safer Soap! It works! And whenever you see a bug..squish it!! It is importandt to make sure your phals are getting enugh sun and fertilizer so they are strong enough to withstand the dreaded mealie. Make sure you keep them warm up there...that may be the problem.
    I think you can repot your phal deeper.
    Have you tried growing Odontoglossums? They like cooler weather!

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    miniatures!
    Member's Country Flag

Oh...I didn't see all these posts on the second page.Sorry, I'm new here.