Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima'--"A Raven at my Window..."

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Oncidium Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Default Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima'--"A Raven at my Window..."

So, again, another inquiry into another member of the Oncidinae, or members of the complex Inter-genetic Oncidium group of orchids. This time, I am more interesting in horticultural over taxonomical concerns. My inquiry entails Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima'

Several times, I have purchased Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima' only to have it perish rather quickly. I have attributed it to certain ways in which it has treated by myself. Recently, when I did an annotated inventory on the plants in my collection, I included Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima' because I had just been fooled by beauty once again and thought, perhaps, I could finally, reasonably learn how to grow this orchid.

When I annotated this Oncidinae member, I made a big discover! Whereas I live in a warm-growing climate in Tidewater, VA; Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima' prefers cool-growing growing conditions with a tolerance of intermediate temperatures. (Does this fit with others' understanding of the plant?) For that seems to be the reason why I have had such difficulty with the plant, I should think?

Now the fresh looking Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima' that I purchased two weeks ago looks like in bad shape, "a raven at my window with a broken wing," to quote Bob Dylan. The leaves are either dropping totally from the pseudobulbs or darkening at the tips, slowly working down the leaf. The flowers have suffered too. I have seen this before! Is my Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima' doomed?

Does anyone have any immediate first-aid ideas that could revive the plant? And, if it should live beyond this clearly stressed state, any idea on a long term solution other than not purchasing it again to keep it living?

I know a few tricks for cool-intermediate growing plants that I have learned from cultivating Begonia. For instance, these cool growers should be placed on the bottom shelve rather than the top shelve of my light garden, is one strategy. But really I am at a loss, likely in plant, with what to do for this cool to intermediate growing Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima'!

Again many thanks for reading!
    Tim

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.

It grows OK, not great for me in Houston, and I know BD grows it too. It did take forever to open the bud when I had it outside in 90 degree heat. You are in Virginia, it should do fine for you, maybe you can give it a little more shade during hot summer month.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Give it a bit more shade than most of your oncid/ intergs. Also, keep air movement on it at all times (24/7). When it dries out, water, but don't keep it wet. Hopefully, it will pull through for you. I grow in a greenhouse, so I really cannot speak to the question about grow lights. Good luck to you!

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Oncidium Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks on the tips on Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima'! Just a couple comments:

(1) Wow! I am simple amazed that this orchid even makes in Houston, where the climatic factors, such as temperature and perhaps humidity(?), are even less favorable than the Tidewater of Virginia. Actually, I should probably say "Virginia Beach" instead of making reference to the general southern coastal plain of the Commonwealth, because the Atlantic Ocean does affect weather conditions even more greatly. The temperatures are more temperate, the humidity is higher, the rainfall is usually ample, and the Ocean/Land breeze creates a constant wind.

----All to say that Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima' should do better in Virginia Beach, which is more like eastern North Carolina (c. Zone 8b) than most of inland Virginia (c. Zone 6-7-8a) as well as in Houston. Again, I cannot express my surprise enough!

More and more now, I become convinced that, even though Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima' has--from what I understand--a preference for cool-intermediate temperatures, I simply do not understand the plant's needs. Truly the plant perishes even before I get a chance to put it outside for summering, as I have bought it in the Fall and Winter months before. Not even before the blooms are faded is the plant stressed, which is the case now. My "Raven at my window with a broken wing" (Dylan), I fear, will not last much longer. And despite its beauty, I do not think I shall purchase it again; because it is often said that with three strikes one is out! I have been fooled by its fickle beauty too much to buy it a fourth time..... (lol) So I tell myself now!

(2) This cultural information is quite helpful in understanding the elusive Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima'! I usually push the light on orchids, except for some, like Ludisia discolor i.e., because a light garden is often hard pressed to match outdoor/greenhouse conditions. I have found that most Oncidinae (right?) seem to favor this extra light. If Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima' pulls through, I will no longer push as bright of conditions as I have! Air movement is another good point too, as it only receives light circulation when I sleep at night. Too many fans running keep me awake otherwise! Also, when I display it, the air circulation is almost zero, which is its current state. This point seems also quite pertinent. Lastly, if Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima' makes it through this stress long enough to survive, it will find its place more among other lower light growing orchids on the bottom shelf of my light-garden.

Question? Here is what I am thinking of doing as *first-aid* to keep this particular Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima' alive. The weather is pleasant, yet the flowering orchid sits on display with its once gorgeous flowers in the house. We are in Virginia Beach about to enjoy a period of cool Autumn temperatures, after tomorrow, that I think any cool-intermediate growing orchid would enjoy! With the temperatures only reaching the 70 degree mark and the lows in the 50s, I think Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima' should be happy? Perhaps this change in climate will stabilize it. . . .

Also, though I rarely cut the flowers of an orchid, maybe a "burden" could be released for the plant by doing so? Too, I plan to trim the leaves to heathy growth. Perhaps all this immediate attention will hopefully and quickly promote a new growth, indicating that its decline has stabilized and a corner has been turned over the course of the next several weeks. Anyone agree? Should I let it rest with regard to fertilizer, until I see a new growth?

Thanks again for reading,
    Tim

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Oncidium Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Update (10/11/2009): What I knew to try as possible "first aid" for Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima' seems to have stop the rapid decline it was in when I first posted the above conversation. Again this "first aid" consisted of the following:

(1) It is outside in 55F to 75F temperatures (Intermediate conditions).
    (2) In shade, because of (1) the recommendation that Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima' takes less light than other Oncidinae plants; AND (2) since it was in a greenhouse when purchased, such that it is not used to unfiltered Sun light.
    (3) The weather has been rainy off and on with sun expected today here, in Virginia Beach VA.
    (4) The flower stalk was removed, even though it had some flowers left on it. A painful thing to do--cutting a blooming orchid!
    (5) The die-back on the foliage has been trimmed off.

All said the plant has ceased to appear declining under these conditions. Hopefully in the short time left in the growing season here, my Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima'--my "raven at my window with a broken wings (Dylan)"--will put out a new growth. Perhaps then the plant will start to adapt to the warmer conditions I have in my home and light garden.

In any case, let's hope I have saved it.

Thanks for reading;
    Tim

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.

Tim,
    Have you repotted it to check the roots and media? A fresh media always does a lot good to roots/plants. Anway, it sounds like it's on the correct path to the recovery.

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Oncidium Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Wow.... I didn't think of that and I should have.... Thanks on this tip, as the many that have been posted. I have thought hard about Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima'! Yet, in all my pondering, I overlooked an obvious thing. Yes! of course, I should have checked the media and likely repotted this orchid. I am on my way to check and repot now! I love it when my attention is drawn to something that I completely missed! Many thanks again! I will update shortly upon completion of this task! I am potting several new orchids anyways . . . so it could not hurt. Tim

Real Name
    Bill
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Oncidium,and Catts
    Member's Country Flag

I am really excited! When checking my orchids on Christmas Day I noticed a spike on one of my oncidiums. When i checked the tag it was my Mishima. I have had the plant for a year and it has grown slowly. I had it outside all summer. I attribute the spike to the very cool conditions in my basement. Recently the temps have been in the high 50's to very low 60's. perhaps the cold treatment is the key. Good luck with yours. i will post pics when the spike developes more.