Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a Greenhouse!!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.

Considering the time and anger I have to manage, I decide not to fight it. Instead, I just bought a small patio greenhouse (see picture) which I will set agaist the southern wall. I plan to keep catts and dends on the patio to get more sun, and move phals and Oncs inside. If this works well, I might buy another one and connect two together. I will move them out in open air after Feb.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Please don't give up, Liz. Don't let the b&&^^@s wear you down. Denying a greenhouse is environmentally unfriendly. The HOA should be supporting any growing of green things in Texas. Hit 'em in the 'ol air quality pocketbook. You can do it - don't let your dream die.

Tami

Real Name
    Brian Chamier
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

Give them hell Lizgeo the only thing they can do is say no again. they gave me hell here in South Africa about building a 4.2m by 4.2m by 3m high wooden room for my flask room and they said no because wooden bla bla bla bla. As in South Africa they not to clued up on building from wood so I have to re sure them that I know what I was doing it took a little over a year to get an approval out of them. So the moral of this story is if they have said no already then you have nothing to lose buy going at it again. :-)

Real Name
    Brian Chamier
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

I think 4.2m is 13.8feet?

Real Name
    Sarah
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phal, encyclia, catt

I am sorry to hear that your greenhouse plans was turned down. I have been following this thread, since I want to get a greenhouse for winter also in Houston. I have to go through hoa approval also. I guess it is a good idea to see if you can get approval first before buying the greenhouse? I have been like a kid in a candystore looking at greenhouse kits on the internet, but I guess I should not be jumping the gun.

Real Name
    Ed
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph. fairrieanum
    Member's Country Flag

I've just completed a 14'5" x 8'5" aluminium greenhouse with toughened glass.Here across the pond it is getting rather cold in an evening so the house has been triple bubble wrapped which should halve the heating bill.A 3kw heater attached to a tropical house house thermostat will keep the temp around 15 degrees and in conjunction with 3 fans it should be very comfy for our 'pets'. In the summer at the far end of the house there will be an extractor fan to remove any excessive heat. I wouldn't use a sprinkler sysyem unless most of my plants were mounted. There are more cases of killing plants through the wetness than letting them become dry.I find that keeping the humidity on the high side will stop the need for regular watering. These are only my thoughts so I'm sure that you good people can find fault with my principles.
    Ed

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.

Sarah,
    HOA wants to get approval for everything. A lot people don't ask for apporval, just build it. Since greenhouse and label cost is not trivial, I don't want to risk the chance.

I will still show up at their board meeting to get better answer, at least better explanation.

Real Name
    Brian Chamier
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

I think its so wrong... I mean I understand the need for approval but a 8.5x12.5 green house where is the harm??? Its not a 2 bedroom guest house. Please let us know there reason for not allowing the GH.
    Last edited by flasker; November 13th, 2009 at 01:08 AM. Reason: to add some thing in

Real Name
    Ed
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph. fairrieanum
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by flasker View Post
    I think its so wrong... I mean I understand the need for approval but a 8.5x12.5 green house where is the harm??? Its not a 2 bedroom guest house. Please let us know there reason for not allowing the GH.
    I just cannot understand why you need planning approval for a greenhouse. We don't get planning for such a thing here in Blighty--- and I thought that it was only this country that has gone completely bonkers. keep trying and try to find out the reasons why!!
    Ed

Real Name
    Susan
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal and Paph species

Quote Originally Posted by Quakerbogey6918 View Post
    I just cannot understand why you need planning approval for a greenhouse. We don't get planning for such a thing here in Blighty--- and I thought that it was only this country that has gone completely bonkers. keep trying and try to find out the reasons why!!
    Ed
    It is not a requirement for this country, it is part of the regulations for a particular homeowners association. Homeowners associations (HOAs) often have requirements for architectural uniformity in their covenants/regulations. I am current board president for my condominium HOA and just so that everyone realizes, the covenants are typically put in place by the original developer of the home sites. The board of directors is then put in place to enforce the covenants, and they do have a legal responsibility to do this. Granted, some HOAs abuse their responsibilities and homeowners often have issues with the covenants (ask me how I know), but the covenants are often not easily changed and are legally binding. When a home is purchased in the association, the implication is that the buyer is agreeing to the terms of the covenants. I am amazed at the number of people who don't take the time to read the regulations and understand the implications then get a nasty surprise.

Just thought I would throw in perspective from the side of the board.

Susan