Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious about orchid shows

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Vanessa
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Um, any one I have met.
    Member's Country Flag

Jeffrey,
    How exactly to you stake a Catt? Phals and Oncids make sense. I have Tinker Toy coming into bloom, soon. It's probably too late to make it pretty, but none of the blooms is open, so what would you suggest I do to try and make Tinker Toy presentable? No blooms are open. There are a good number of blooms coming on this one spike.

Real Name
    Jeff Johnson
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Oncidium, Bulbo.
    Member's Country Flag

The multifloral types (More than 2 or 3 flowers per inflorescense) I stake like this.
    Name:  NCOS Show 10-09 (Genes display with my plants) 4 (Small).JPG
Views: 181
Size:  76.1 KB
    This is my C. Caudebec 'Carmela' HCC/AOS with 13 flowers. The inflorescense is held straight upright. If I don't stake it, it sometimes flops over. Trying to keep the stake (the green wire not the bamboo) and ties as unobvious as possible. I turned the plant 1/4 turn daily so the flowers fell evenly on the spike.

Real Name
    Vanessa
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Um, any one I have met.
    Member's Country Flag

That plant is stunning How often did you turn it? Or was I so blinded by the picture that I didn't see that in your comments...it happens!

Real Name
    Jeff Johnson
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

I gave it 1/4 turn daily.

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium species, Vandaceous
    Member's Country Flag

Excellent ideas! The revolution starts with you!
    I only bring my plants to meetings to show diversity.. not to show off, but you can't stop some people from making assumptions. I was shocked at some rude remarks I got last year whenever one of mine got a ribbon.... but you cannot let rude people stop you from enjoying life!
    I don't think of myself as one of the old timers, but I make tiem to talk to visitors... Mysociety also has several splinter sub groups- the cultural study group is my favorite. Its very informal and members can bring problem plants and we all sit around and talk about them..... its run by several of the most experienced members. We regularly buy small plants via mail order and auction thm off to attendees... then have a chance to pot them or mount them right there.... ITs a great chance to pass along tips an techniques to new growers.... Oh- the cultural group also does the display exhibits- sets them up . Another great way to get people involved...... give them something to do- a a way to feel valued! ( if they want)

Real Name
    Marilyn
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrag -Vanda

Quote [Neither was terribly friendly -- if I hadn't made the effort to talk to a few people, I think I would have gone the entire meeting without having a single person speak to me.]

Pavel. That has been my experience also. I seldom go anymore. A few months ago I donated about 10 plants and a lot of supplies to the club. A member came up to me and reminded me, in a very sharp way, that I should remember that I needed to give the club a porton of the sale amount. Another time I asked a member, (she was our speaker, speaking about insects on orchids) a question about scale. Her response was a very snide remark, she could not answer my question because she never has insects on her plants.

I still attend but only if they have a speaker I especially want to hear.

Marilyn

Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma M View Post
    A few months ago I donated about 10 plants and a lot of supplies to the club. A member came up to me and reminded me, in a very sharp way, that I should remember that I needed to give the club a porton of the sale amount.
    Marilyn
    You probably handled that situation with more tact than I would have, Marilyn. LOL I can imagine what I might have said to that member .... it wouldn't have be tactful.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma M View Post
    Another time I asked a member, (she was our speaker, speaking about insects on orchids) a question about scale. Her response was a very snide remark, she could not answer my question because she never has insects on her plants.
    Marilyn
    Again my rejoinder to that would not have been tactful -- "Since you are then obviously ignorant with regards to the subject, why were you chosen (& paid?) to speak upon it instead of someone who is qualified to do so?" It made little sense for them to have had her as a speaker on a subject for which she was unqualified.

My tolerance for fools is limited. For arrogant fools it is nonexistant.

Too bad you don't live closer to Kalamazoo, Marilyn. I think you would like my old OS.

Real Name
    Vanessa
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Um, any one I have met.
    Member's Country Flag

Pavel,
    I couldn't help but share this quote from Bioleau: "Every fool finds a greater one to admire them."

Might explain the speaker....

Real Name
    Vanessa
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Um, any one I have met.
    Member's Country Flag

Talking

WEE!

I took my Iwanagaara Apple Blossom "Mendenhall" and my Paphiopedilum delanatii, along with a couple of others, to the recent Heart O' Texas Orchid Show for the judging. The Apple Blossom got a blue ribbon and the delanatii got a white ribbon . Jeffrey, I turned the AB everyday by a quarter of a turn and the blossoms filled in the spike so nicely! I was floored and thrilled. There were a staggering number of beautiful orchids at the show...and of course, from the sale portion of the show I lugged a couple extra home with me..... Just wanted to share the thrill with you all.
    Last edited by Vmax; April 14th, 2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: clarification

Real Name
    Jeff Johnson
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Congratulations!!! See it can be worth your time and sometimes very little effort. I have ne more show to enter this spring. I hope I do as well as I did at Longwood.