When I first joined my local OS, I became quite involved. I served on the board for a few years and volunteered wherever I could. I would contribute plants when I could and won some ribbons. I've never won a quality award, but the plants I grow, especially species Phals, don't tend to get awarded. For quite a few years I quit contributing plants after a plant I sent to a show came back infected with scale that spread to other plants before I knew it . I also got busy with other things in life and the OS seemed to change due to changes in the board. It became less friendly and more clique-ish. While I remained a member, I only occaisionally went to meetings and was rarely even acknowledged though have been a member since 1989. About a year ago things started swinging back the other way, so I have become more involved again. I have contributed plants to several shows this year and have won some ribbons and no scale (knock on wood). I am chairing this year's show because nobody else would take the job and I think it is important to members and the community that a show be held.

I don't show plants for awards or ribbons. My goal is to share my plants and spread the word about the wonders of orchids. A ribbon is only the cherry on top of the sunday .

Susan