Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bright Yellow-Orange Vanda NoID

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Yug View Post
    Actually, the last 2 photos are supposed to be a straight V. JVB, not a cross. I have a friend that has one that is the same size/shape, but it is a much paler color. She is the same person that I got this from.
    If this is straight JVB then I would say this is an exceptional clone. JVB is V insignis x Papilionanthe teres and we old-timers refer to it as a semi-terete (first generation between a strap leaved and terete - thus the leaves are are very narrow and deeply grooved, and the spacing between the leaves are more widely spaced at intervals more like the leaf-spacing on the terete parent. The second generation of crossing a semi-terete to a strap-leaved would be referred to as a 1/4 (quarter) terete, with cross-section of the leaf representing a very side V or U; also the leaf spacing is closer together more like that of the strap-leaved parent. Thus V Tan chay Yan is a 1/4 terete and JVB is semi-terete.

From what I can see from your photo the leaves look more 1/4 terete than semi-terete. BTW V JVB was registered in 1936, 2 years before I was born, by a Dutch grower in Batavia, now Indonesia. A parallel can be drawn with your equally famous V Emma van Deventer, semi-terete parent of that illustrious V Nellie Morley. V Emma van Deventer is V tricolor x Papilionanthe teres .

NB. Semi-terete and 1/4 terete are now Papilionanda, though I personally prefer the old generic name of Vanda.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Well, I'm no expert, and I can only tell you what was told to me about its parentage. Do you have any photos of one of those first ones you were referring to? Here is a photo showing the leaves of the one pictured above. Each leaf is semi-terete, and about 9" long, but due to the upward "v" growing pattern, it is only about 14 1/2" wide. It is not blooming at the moment, but has two inflorescences just pushing through.
    Name:  001_Vanda_JVB_700.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  202.6 KB

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

@Yug: Thanks for the picture of plant. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of V JVB but I'll make it a point next time I visit Singapore to go to the Botanic Gardens to try to take a picture of one. Your JVB is an exceptional clone and would be very good stock for breeding. Hope a DNA testing has been done to confirm its ID.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Gorgeous!

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    @Yug: Thanks for the picture of plant. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of V JVB but I'll make it a point next time I visit Singapore to go to the Botanic Gardens to try to take a picture of one. Your JVB is an exceptional clone and would be very good stock for breeding. Hope a DNA testing has been done to confirm its ID.
    Mahalo! It does look like Vanda Tan Chay Yan in some respects, but the ones I've seen seemed to have the top 3 petals with a more roundish shape. Still, they are pretty close. I would love to have a photo of a verified V. JVB,------ Your argument is convincing enough that now I have doubts about mine. Thank you for your insight.

Real Name
    Angel
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Aerides, Ascocenda
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for the wonderful photos, Yug. Your quarter teretes are beautiful. However, I don't think mine is the same as your ascocenda. This one has a much brighter orange color, sometimes its brilliant color is hard to photograph because it comes out so suffused with color that the outline of the individual petals disappear in the photos.

It is actually a huge plant, just like any other JVB hybrid, now very tall too, I am afraid to cut it lest the prolific flowering may be affected. By the way, it blooms all the time, and I mean it, it is never without bloom. It blooms every month with at least two spikes simultaneously and at times with three spikes at the same time. I don't know how it does it, because the first several years it was with me, it was just like any other vanda, blooming around three to four times a year with a single spike at a time. But for the past two years, it has been in bloom practically every day of the year and always with at least two spikes.

---------- Post Merged at 11:22 PM ----------

Wow! Lovely post, Yew Sung, so rich with information, very interesting indeed. I don't think there's anything like this on the net. Thank you for sharing with us this wealth of information that comes from your years of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    Yug, your second JVB cross is most probably V Tan Chin Tuan ( J x Rothchildiana ) if you had it for more than 20 years. I remember that in the early days of JVB crosses, the hybrids mostly turned out in shades of salmon and early hybridisers were hoping for blue when crossed with Rothchildiana but almost all turned out in pinkish shades. I have seen some nice blues of recent JVB hybrids from Thailand that have been made with their more modern complex blue strap leaved vandas. I have one that has a light shade of blue but am still looking for darker ones, Unfortunately the one I have is not as free flowering as the usual JVB crosses.

Back in the early 1960s when there was a craze in JVB crosses I literally saw thousands (in flower farms in Singapore and Malaysia) in every combination of JVB and strap leaved vandas but none could equal the original V Tan Chay Yan var 'Tan Hoon Siang'. However there was one that could possibly have given it a run for the money, and this was a cross of JVB x V Eisenhower by a Penang breeder. It had excellent form, very good dark colour, more yellowish than the pink/salmon of the normal JVB crosses, good flower count but slightly smaller in size than the V Tan Chay Yan 'THS'. Most of the siblings of this cross were uniformly very good. Unfortunately due to society rivalry/politics this particular cross was never awarded. I don't think any of this clone has survived in collections here. A pity. The Singapore Botanic Gardens is to be congratulated for mericloning the original Tan Chay Yan and offering the seedlings to collectors.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by angel; September 28th, 2014 at 10:42 PM.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by angel View Post
    It is actually a huge plant, just like any other JVB hybrid, now very tall too, I am afraid to cut it lest the prolific flowering may be affected.
    Well, if you ever do divide it, or a piece breaks off... I know one person who would love to acquire a piece.

Real Name
    Wade Hollenbach
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything in bloom :)
    Member's Country Flag

I wouldn't be surprised if it had Asctm. miniatum somewhere in its background. That would certainly account for that intense orange color.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wade's Orchids View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if it had Asctm. miniatum somewhere in its background. That would certainly account for that intense orange color.
    I would agree with that assessment, or possibly even Asctm. curvifolium.

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wade's Orchids View Post
    The intense orange colour is definitely from the Ascocentrum ( now Vanda ) but from the size of the plant and flowers and the robust growing habit, I would opine that one of the ancestors is Ascocentrum curvifolium. Most Asctm miniatum crosses tend to be dwarfish and vegetative growth very slow.