Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maxillaria - Who grows these?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Maxillaria - Who grows these?

I would really like to get recommendations for some more of these. So far I only have sanguinea, tenuifolia, variabilis and variabilis atropurpurea. I just never tire of them which is a good indicator that I need to get more. I think they could rank near the top of my favorite plant list so far.

Anyway, even if you only have one and like it which one is it and why do you like it? I'm also kind of curious about the larger species or even hybrids. I have a feeling some of those could be very interesting to have around.

Kev

You know you should ask " Does anyone have these besides Mike?"
    I have over 20 species. What do you got for trade!

Uncata smells like watermelons. Way cool. M densa is fragrant with many tiny little flowers. I also have pieces of elator and triloris and some true minis. One looks like tenufolia but shhrink it down to 2 to 3 in. Looks like grass.

Well, you never know. There might be lurkers out there just waiting for the right bait to get them talking. (but I was kind of hoping you would rant on and on about these)

Give me another 10-15 years and maybe I can come up with something you don't have.

One of the reasons I asked this question is I like to hear people talk about their plants. Some of the things I have I probably wouldn't have picked had it not been for someone really talking me into it.

Another reason is because I think a lot of the pictures orchid places use are really bad quality. Some of the Maxies I've been looking at look butt ugly, but I think it's just the picture.

me

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

From what I've read about uncata, it seems to need warmth instead of cool to flower, which means it might work here. The bloom doesn't look especially appealing though http://www.belizebotanic.org/orchid....laria%20uncata so I guess it's a question of whether it's worth growing just to have the GH smell like watermellon?

Maybe....

'Course, that might just have been one of the lousy pics Kev was talking about....

That's a very good example of what I'm talking about. I've seen other pics of that one and they always appear just kind of dull tan. Others do also. I'm assuming there are subtilties to the flower color that just don't photograph well .

Kev

I don't have any (as you know, Kev) but am thinking about trying some since you "introduced" them. I will probably grow them in s/h if I get any and have heard that the non-rambling, non-viney ones are easier to grow. Which ones would you recommend to get started?

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

I just have the one that my friend Luke gave me, before he left us , you might of seen a picture of it , I have looked and looked , took a picture of it to the Mo. Bot. gardens , zilch ,nada ,ID . Gin

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TundraKev
    I've seen other pics of that one and they always appear just kind of dull tan.
    Ah yes... What they call "bronze" in the biz.....

Ok, not really. That's just me being sarcastic for no good reason.

Seriously though, with a lot of these, I have to wonder, if I saw one of them poking up through the grass in the yard, would I mow around it, or over it???

(Evil of me, I know....)

Recommendations? We'll have to wait for Mike to get back in here. He's the person who KNOWS EVERYTHING about these.

I don't grow anything in s/h, so can't help you there. I haven't found any of the ones I grow difficult. I know some of these are supposed to be grown mounted, but I have a tendency to not do that. Actually, I don't grow anything mounted - yet. I do have my reasons, but won't go into that here

Max. variabilis seems to be the most prolific with the flowers. Mine has been popping them out since December. You might want to start with that one. I'm sure the Master will have more to say.

We could start a Club Max!!

Gin - I do remember that pic. It was beautiful.

The tan thing

Louis - you are evil.

I really do think some of these places just don't take the time to photograph these babes well. Example: In one of my rare orders I received a free Encyclia obpiribulbon. Took a look at it and thought: "Oh, a dull tan flower. Wonderful!" Then I saw a pic of the flower an acquaintance had taken and it was beautiful. I'm hoping some of these bronze Maxies do look better in person.

I can ramble today, finished coloring my Easter eggs.

K

What do you think of this one? I think it is in my future - very near future.

Max striata x Max. luteo-alba