Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oncidium killer

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Alvin
    My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.
    Member's Country Flag

Default Oncidium killer

I've got some orchids from different genera and most of them are doing good in my care, except oncidium.

I've already killed two oncidiums( dancing lady and a noid)and now the sharry baby is on the line for its demise while the other two are running slowly to orchid heaven.

I've tried s/h, but no growth for two months and the psuedobulb is wrinkling fast.( there are new root growth before converting to s/h) I checked on the roots but it seems ok and not rotten, so I thought they don't like s/h.

I transferred them to regular pot culture using LECA and watered every 2 days when the LECA is close to dryness but nothing is happening for almost two months.

Am I doing the right thing fro my oncidiums? I really don't want to give up on this. I hope somebody could help me.

I grow them outside with bright indirect light.

Real Name
    Maria Kotze
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All orchids are a favourite!
    Member's Country Flag

Mine seems to be happy, she is planted in bark & I follow the following advice I got from a web page:

Culture: Oncidium Sharry Baby 'Sweet Fragrance' needs a well drained compost and full to partial sun. In the greenhouse, we use compost consisting of Osmunda or tree fern fiber, with sphagnum moss and small bark chips added to ensure good drainage. The plants are watered and allowed to dry before adding water again. We fertilize the plants weekly with an orchid special fertilizer during the growing season. Plants do best with morning sun and afternoon shade. In the greenhouse, we started growing them in full sun and the leaves tended to produce brownish spots. After moving the plants to a new shaded location this stopped. The plants should never be subjected to temperatures lower than 60°F (15°C) at night. During the winter months, water is restricted to watering plants only enough to keep the pseudobulbs from shriveling.

Real Name
    Randy
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda and Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

I have killed a lot of oncids... anyways... I've always find that S/H is a hit and miss... the
    plants would do well for a while then after a few months they decline almost instantly.
    Then I learned that maybe there's some baddies in the water with the S/H, so i washed the
    media every now and then (every 3months or so) and now they're happy as can be.
    Anyways my Sharry Baby is doing fantastic in S/H (its a backbulb rescue). My phals I've
    taken out of S/H and grow them mounted instead. I abandoned S/H for Bulbos as well.

I'd say if you can get a backbulb from those oncids go get one before its too late and
    put it in a container and bag it until it produces new leads. If S/H is not working for you
    then grow them conventionally like you do now.... btw, what size LECA are you using?
    there are the smaller ones and the bigger ones, i always use the bigger ones as that
    allows for more air to the roots. Good Luck.

Real Name
    Alvin
    My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Randy and Maria,

Thank you for your suggestions.
    Randy, I use a medium size LECA, almost a size of a thumb nail., or a bit smaller since oncidiums is fine rooted plants. I clean the LECA very well before using it. I soak it for 3 days with regular washing everyday and bring it to boil before using. I have some Phals in s/h and they are like ducks to water. I really don't know if putting them in a plain LECA is a good idea, but I have to try it this way.

I put it on a clay pot so I can water them daily but until now the pseudobulb is shriveling to death.

The plants receives morning sun until 10:30 and filtered sun the rest of the day.. Am I doing the right things when it comes to watering and light? Are these dancing ladies ,Sharry baby and twinkle needs dryness before watering?

Real Name
    Stephen
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Rhynch/Brassavola/Angc
    Member's Country Flag

Every two days is way to much watering for your plants. They need to dry out well between watering.

Real Name
    Alvin
    My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by smwboxer View Post
    Every two days is way to much watering for your plants. They need to dry out well between watering.
    I grow them in a 4.5 inch clay pot and I think it dries faster. Do you mean total dryness of the LECA before watering again?

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alvin2000 View Post
    ... Do you mean total dryness of the LECA before watering again?
    IMO - Yes. Oncidiums have pseudobulbs to retain water so their roots need to dry out before being watered again. Leaving them constantly wet will cause root loss and the leaves will turn yellow and fall off of the p-bulbs. The p-bulbs will also start to shrivel because they do not have roots to pull in the water that they do need.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Byron Aguilar
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Lady Slippers and Cattleyas
    Member's Country Flag

its probably too much water, i have a few oncidiums in s/h and they were doing the samething yours were but now they are doing fine and growing alot of new roots. Just dong water they too much. I spray the roots every couple of days so they wont dry out.

Real Name
    Alvin
    My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks BD...Now I should water them about 2 to 3 days or when the LECA is completely dry.

Real Name
    Alvin
    My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    its probably too much water, i have a few oncidiums in s/h and they were doing the samething yours were but now they are doing fine and growing alot of new roots. Just dong water they too much. I spray the roots every couple of days so they wont dry out.
    Thanks Raver for the tips...