Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: shadecloth canopy percentage?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Question shadecloth canopy percentage?

Hi all! I have a nice weekend off ahead of me and a partner who is very handy with tools and itching for a project. I want my orchids outside for the summer. I have a nice sized deck off the north side of my condo but most of it gets full sun for the better part of the day since there is no real overhang. I originally planned for a waist high work shelf to be built and from there graduated to the work shelf with a shade canopy. At this point, I have found sources for enough decently priced material that I can shade the entire deck. The task itself should be pretty easy. I am most interested in my oncids, nodosa, and zygo getting better light. I would like for my paphs and phals to be out there too as it's so much easier to water outdoors. What sort of percentage shadecloth should I be looking at? I was thinking of going with fifty percent. The paphs and phals I could keep at a spot where they wouldn't get sun after noon. I've never really dealt with actual sunlight. I've been an under lights guy for so long. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Jason! Living in Florida I really can't offer specifics. But here are my thoughts anyway. Yea to putting your orchids outdoors! Put up the shade cloth you are considering. You will know in short order by leaf color and general response of your orchids as to whether or not they are comfortable. I use shade cloth here which gives me 7000 -8000 ft candles during midday in mid summer. Needless to say I have to watch for burning when I first put the 'chids outdoors for the summer. However, they do seem to adapt and prefer the higher light, and you can always add another layer of cloth. My point is, try it, watch your 'chid's response and move them around accordingly. Well, good luck, and go for it.

Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Thanks for the encouragement Tami! I think I have a good plan that my OH has now developed to the point that it can be waterproofed during winter....I'll have to visually record the process so that everyone who has limited space can see and maybe use for themselves! I am going to draw up plans tomorrow...it's going to have to be pretty precise since we have an HOA to deal with. We rent and can't put up anything that looks "rigged". I'm way too excited for my own good! Let's just hope the big box doesn't have those damned baggie babies that I can't resist!

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Oh, don't resist the baggie babies hon, they need homes too LOL! Good luck with your plans. Please share them with us!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

We use 55% on the top of the greenhouse and 70% on the left-hand (West) side.

I look forward to seeing your progress and results. Good luck!

Cheers,
    BD