Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Is it just me?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Is it just me?

Louis, sometimes when I'm logged in for an extended period of time with an Orchid Talk window open and then not doing anything with that window (like when I log in then get called away to do something else), the system will change folders with "unread" icons to look like there are no new postings in those folders, even when I haven't read them or even gone into the folders. I end up having to look for new info by last post date to see if I missed anything. (Aren't you glad I care to go looking? ).

This has only started happening within the last few weeks.

Any idea why?

RSJ

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

Just for the record, I've had this happen to me as well, so now I just make a point of not doing anything else other than finish reading all the new posts... the burning kitchen can wait!

Cheers
    Tim

I may be saying the same thing, but I was getting ready to PM Louis as well. If I don't have time to read through all the "New Posts", they vanish next time I log in, as if I'd already read them. I've been missing a lot of stuff the last couple of weeks because of that.

Julie

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

This is a problem inherent in the vBulletin system--nothing new recently; it's been there from day one. You're given a certain lime limit of inactivity (in this case two hours), after which all posts are marked as "read," even if you haven't read them. Same thing if you log in, only read one message even though there may be twenty new ones, and then log out. All of those messages are marked as "read." This is a really bothersome issue, I know: it frustrates the heck out of me, too. But Jelsoft is apparently going to address this on its next major release, and you can bet that as soon as the update is out, I'll incorporate it.

So help me read between the tech bulletin lines, Louis...

If I check "New Posts" I need to check them all in one sitting or within two hours, if I don't want to lose any? Are there any tricks or back doors to it?

Thanks,
    Julie

Thanks for the info. I guess I have been keeping caught up better in the past, so that's why I never noticed before.

RSJ

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Julie, unfortunately, yes. If you log in, you need to check / read them in one sitting, or they won't be marked as new anymore after two hours have gone by and your browser session hasn't had any contact with the server.

On the bright side though, even though "New Posts" may come up empty, you can still look at the icon at the left of each post. Threads you've replied to will have an arrow going through the icon. I know this won't help on posts to which you've already replied, but it'll at least give a clue about the things you haven't responded to at all.

The major update has been on the "we're working on it as fast as we can" list for a while now, so I imagine they're going to come out with it soon. When it's here, I'll post back.