Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Question for paph growers

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Jonada
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph Chiu Hua Dancer
    Member's Country Flag

Question Question for paph growers

I have one paph. It is called Oberhausen's Diament (primulinum x sanderianum). From my limited research, this means I have a sequential bloomer crossed with a multi-floral. It has 2 growths in the pot. I was under the impression that it would bloom, grow a new set of leaves and bloom again from each growth. I take it I am wrong on that? What should I expect for flowers on this if anyone would hazard a guess? What I saw pictured was beautiful. Am I in over my head? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Name:  001.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  38.9 KB

Real Name
    Susan
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal and Paph species

Paphs bloom once out of each growth but can put out multiple growths simultaneously, or not. Each plant does what it wants. I have a small seedling of primulinum that is nowhere near blooming size that has 2 growths. How are you growing the plant? Multiflorals tend to want more light than other Paphs in general and are often slow to grow and bloom.

Susan

Real Name
    Jonada
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph Chiu Hua Dancer
    Member's Country Flag

I have it in a south facing window. There is a large overhang on that side and it is back from the window a ways. It doesn't get direct light, but gets a nice amount of indirect light. I keep a pretty close watch on the medium to make sure it doesn't get really dry. I have been misting in the morning. I haven't had it that long and am not worried that it hasn't flowered yet, but I am really starting to get a liking for the paphs and wanted to start figuring things out about it so I can expand my collection.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

It may take some time to bloom this one. sanderianum is a slow grower and takes awhile to bloom. Also, from your photo, it appears your paph is pretty dark green. It may need a bit more light. These paphs with leaves this shape need higher light that say a vini paph with smaller rounder leaves. I wish you great success with it though. Slippers are amazing and blooming a multi-florial one is just about 'tops' as I see it.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Jonada
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph Chiu Hua Dancer
    Member's Country Flag

Since it is a multi crossed with a sequential, do you think it will take after the multi in its blooms? Do I have to wait till it grows new growths each time before it blooms? What do I do with the old growths or do they gradually fade? I guess I am surprised that A plant would only flower once.

Real Name
    Susan
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal and Paph species

The ones I have seen of this hybrid tend to have the influence of both parents, but it just depends on how the genes fall .

Each new growth has to mature to blooming size before it will flower. It is not unusual for multiflorals to bloom only once every few years because of their slower growth tendency.

Growths that have bloomed will fade away with time, but are also useful in supporting the plant as it matures.

I would see if you can give more light to this particular plant. They like more around Cattleya light levels.

Susan

Real Name
    Jonada
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph Chiu Hua Dancer
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks Susan. Will try to find a "sunny" spot for my little one.

Real Name
    Laura
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

What is the leafspan on your plant? I've got an Oberhausen's Diament x Sanderianum (75% sanderianum), so I'm curious how large they are supposed to actually get. Mine is only about 12" right now, so I figure it has a long way to go before blooming. And yes, they are SLOW. It maybe puts out 2 leaves per year. I keep mine on a humidity tray in a southern facing window, so it gets a lot of sunlight. You probably want to gradually acclimate your plant to the increased sunlight, though I've never had a problem with sunburn with this one. I also periodically top the media with crushed oyster shell. Apparently sanderianum needs a calcium source.

Real Name
    Jonada
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph Chiu Hua Dancer
    Member's Country Flag

At this point it is about 17" across and has 8 pairs of leaves +1 on the larger growth and only 4 leaves on the smaller one. Thanks for the tip on the oyster shell. I will give it a try.

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phragmipedium

Susans' question about light is right on. The leaves are a good healty green but a little dark. A little more light so the leaves are a little lighter green may help blooming. Higher light = more energy = less need to produce chlorophyll = more strength for blooming.