Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Outstanding Vanda Sanderiana Alba

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

i saw some vandas hanging on their trees the last time i was there, but i can't recall exactly what variety. good luck hope you get the small division
    Probably that's the huge pink sanderiana that I saw last saturday (just beside purif..)

Those albas are really outstanding but the price and plant I dunno (as you can see the foliage isn't in top condition)

Im hoping to bring home a matured sanderiana alba constance from a seller there for less than P2K (she gave me 2 alba keikis already, sanderiana alba "constance" and "snowcup")

Real Name
    Jojo
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vanda, Cattlya, Species
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tmai View Post
    OM, can you imaging spending all that money and then losing the plant to some unforseen incident? That's why I don't spend big bucks on glass scupture - I would surely break it before getting it home. But that vanda makes me DROOL......
    Yes I know the feeling .... been there before and those unfortunate incidents discourages me and sometimes make me want to end my orchid hobby altogether and make me face the mirror and say to myself, "You fool ...!".

Unfortunately despite the occasional bad incidents (which I have kept at a very low rate so far), I'm an orchid nut by heart and even if I've abandoned my desire for orchids momentarily, after a few days I'm back at it again. Looks more like an addiction? Is this normal? Hmmm .... I guess a lot of us in this forum aren't .... LOL! Darn orchid fever.

Real Name
    Susan
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal and Paph species

Quote Originally Posted by Tmai View Post
    OM, can you imaging spending all that money and then losing the plant to some unforseen incident? That's why I don't spend big bucks on glass scupture - I would surely break it before getting it home. But that vanda makes me DROOL......

So true. Last week I took a stopper for an antique cruet in for re-repair (old repair failed) and the restorer showed me a glass sculpture he was working on and said it was worth $15,000. Somebody did a serious ooops .

Susan

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

That vanda is stunning, but 1K?? Too rich for me.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Angel
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Aerides, Ascocenda
    Member's Country Flag

If he ever sold that alba sanderiana in Mindanao for a thousand US dollars, I bet the plant would have lived out its lifespan before any buyer would even give it a second thought. He would even have a hard time selling that here for more than 2,500 pesos.

Real Name
    Randy
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda and Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

Hey Jojo whats the news? were you able to snag a keiki? anyways I think most of us would
    agree that spending that amount of money on a single plant is way too much, but thinking
    about it... i think if I combine the costs of all my plants, it would have been more.

Real Name
    Jojo
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by juzzel View Post
    Probably that's the huge pink sanderiana that I saw last saturday (just beside purif..)

Those albas are really outstanding but the price and plant I dunno (as you can see the foliage isn't in top condition)

Im hoping to bring home a matured sanderiana alba constance from a seller there for less than P2K (she gave me 2 alba keikis already, sanderiana alba "constance" and "snowcup")
    I have the constance and snowcap varieties too but they haven't flowered with me yet. My friends' particular variety is different and interesting for me because of the very clear and unmuddled coloration and spots. I like it a lot because the top part is clear and so well defined. Then the shape and size of the blooms blew me off. I've seen other outstanding albas in the past years during orchid shows but this one appears to have the "X" factor for me. It would be nice to have at least a small portion of this particular plant for me to culture and grow until maturity (I'm unsure how many years that'll be and if i'll still be around to see that LOL!).

I've spoken with my friends and there MIGHT be some hope for the keiki but I just had to say to them that I'm opting for that because I definitely cannot afford the price of the whole plant (or if ever I would even dare to do so). I hope they reply back and with an price that is a bit more realistic and affordable - not sky-rocketing high! Hey! at least they'll have a "back-up" plantlet somewhere just in case anything bad happens to the main plant.

Real Name
    Jojo
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by angel View Post
    If he ever sold that alba sanderiana in Mindanao for a thousand US dollars, I bet the plant would have lived out its lifespan before any buyer would even give it a second thought. He would even have a hard time selling that here for more than 2,500 pesos.
    True. That's almost what I told my friends but in a different manner like .... "Hey, you know I almost got a heart attack when I found out the selling price. It's almost like indirectly telling the public that it isn't for sale. (I know I was a bit mean on this part) ... Might as well put a tag on it saying 'Not for Sale'."

I sure can be mean sometimes or is it just me being a sourgrape? LOL!

I saw a similar plant photo owned by a nursery in Hawaii but unfortunately they didn't offer any merclones of that for sale. It probably wasn't in stock or they didn't have enough plants to offer. I've taken note of that nursery and will be checking up on them when finally they'll have a mericlone of that for sale hopefully at a much affordable price. As you very well know, we earn pesos in this part of the world and not US$$$.

Real Name
    Jojo
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by delphiguy View Post
    Hey Jojo whats the news? were you able to snag a keiki? anyways I think most of us would
    agree that spending that amount of money on a single plant is way too much, but thinking
    about it... i think if I combine the costs of all my plants, it would have been more.
    Still in progress ..... I've been put on hold and been told that they'll get back to me ... soon.

Hmmmm .... that "soon" makes me feel like it's almost an eternity. LOL!

Real Name
    Boy
    My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda Sanderiana Alba
    Member's Country Flag

sorry for the ignorance being a newbie

may i ask what's the difference between v sanderiana constance, snowcup and the pure alba