Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worst thing about growing orchids

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Rot is leading the pack ,closing in fast bugs , running a close 3rd bud blast . I can't put mine outside at all . Cursed tree rats , and grasshoppers . Gin

how about the expense? I only say this because as a new grower, I haven't lost any in a horrible way just yet (Knocking on wood), but I'm constantly finding something new to spend money on, whether it's plants, or potting media, or interesting cachepots to stick orchids in, & I'm thinking about growlights & maybe a small greenhouse...the only reason I haven't bought a bunch of new books (another addiction) is I've been using the library....

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/Cattleya species
    Member's Country Flag

Worst thing: Root rot!

It's the worst thing ever! If only "root rot" has been eradicated from the face of Earth, than life would be so much better and I'd have more orchids than I currently do. Rotten juicy pbulbs sound really bad, but I still vote for root rot as the worst!

Second is bacteria and fungal infections that make orchids look so ugly with those hideous spots and blotches.

Third place is bud blast. How annoying is it when you spent all your effort on an orchid and it finally throws out a pretty spike, and then you see the buds wither and die.

I'm sure I can go on forever...but these are the worst ones, IMO.

Real Name
    Loventana Lo
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Too many to mention
    Member's Country Flag

Worst thing about growing orchids? I think its the same worst thing about growing any other plants. We cant grow any plants or any orchids we want .Root rots and bugs, they can be treated, but we can't control the climate. Sure, you can grow them inside a green house where you can control the "climate", but that would mean spending lots of money.

Infections are the worst. Next comes our 6 mo. old puppy who has taken it upon herself to unpot a few orchids. Worst was a brand new one I had for a day and found it all chewed up later. I still don't know if it will make it or if it will ever get over all the puppy marks lol. Lastly the worst thing about growing orchids is trying to fend off my family from messing with things. My husband will suddenly take it upon himself to repot something and of course does it all wrong. My three kids (especially the 4 y.o.) likes to help with watering. If these were normal plants it wouldn't matter but NOT my orchids.

Worst thing is definitely the inability to stop buying new orchids, even when I've run out of room and/or money. You know you've succumbed to orchid fever when the dining table is no longer used for dinner and when you've given up clothes shopping to buy orchids instead.

Quote Originally Posted by orchid_fan
    Worst thing is definitely the inability to stop buying new orchids, even when I've run out of room and/or money. You know you've succumbed to orchid fever when the dining table is no longer used for dinner and when you've given up clothes shopping to buy orchids instead.
    OMG, this is so true!! I used to love to buy clothes, but now since orchids took over my life I dont even think about the mall. My poor husband thinks im nuts.. and im starting to believe him. I will FIND the money to buy an orchid I must have .

Tracy

So far, it's getting ready to take a vacation. I wound up not taking them to Mike's Orchid Spa and everything worked out fine - but the list of instructions and the phone calls to my sister-in-law making sure the mounties were getting their regular baths was a pain. It's a good thing my cell phone wasn't roaming in Maui.............

Mealies are a close second. At any given time, I can find one or two of the little terrors on one of the phals Especially the blooms. But I must say it gives me a great deal of pleasure to squish them when I find them. One of the finer things in life is to roll them in a q-tip dipped in alcohol. You can almost hear them screaming

So, Laurie, did you bring back one of those newfangled pest control contraptions from Maui?

RSJ

I wish I could have brought back a suitcase full of those little guys! Every night one of them would be hanging out on one of the bedroom windows catching the bugs that were attracted to the outdoor light. They are green anoles, sometimes called American Chameleons. The green ones can turn brown but the brown anoles can't turn green. Pretty cool, huh?

When I get the pics my friend took while we were there, I'll post a pic that she took of two green ones in the yard. They were...........um............ making baby lizards.