Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Leaf sheats Sarong getting glassy and mushy spreading to plants

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Lars Kurth
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Renanthera & Angraecoids
    Member's Country Flag

Default Leaf sheats Sarong getting glassy and mushy spreading to plants

Seems I managed to get myself a disease into the greenhouse in the summer, which now as the colder winter months approach is taking a bit more of a hold. As preparation for winter I only water every 5-7 days and essentially switched the hydrofogger off (it may come on for a few minutes in the morning).

I have not taken it seriously in the summer, as there did not seem to be any real spread. On two Cattleyas, the Sarongs instead of drying, suddenly got glassy and mushy. I removed the sarong carefully and that was it.

Now as a lot more plants are maturing, and on very careful inspection not only Catts, but also other plants which have fleshy leaf sheats\sarongs are affected or at least look susceptible. Examples are: some Coelogyne, Cattleya, Maxillaria, ... What is odd, is that this year all my leaf sheets\sarongs are much bigger and seem to hold a lot of water (they look really succulent). Many have grown slightly taller than the pseudobulbs and when the bulbs emerge, and the sarong opens at the top, it can trap water. Thus, this may be as simple as water getting trapped between the sarong and the pseudobulbs, standing in there and rot developing.

Anyway, as it was getting darker and I was working hard, I did not have time to check the greenhouse much. Yesterday evening, I discovered that on my Cattleya maxima the second shoot has become brown mush and tipped over in the middle. Leaf looking totally unaffected and healthy; the same is true for the roots. The middle of the bulb: mushy light brown, very watery. It looked as if whatever affected the leaf sheath has infected the freshly grown pseudobulb where it encased the bulb. Also there was a strange smell in the greenhouse.

I checked in the literature and could not find anything conclusive. According to the descriptions it could be anything from bacterial rot, to Phytium or Phytophora or even Sclerotium.

I cleaned up the affected plant and isolated it. Then drenched the greenhouse and plants with Previcur N, to ensure that the plants get some systemic protection. The books I have recommends it against Phytophthora, Pythium and bacterial issues.

I am planning to apply Agri Foss next weekend with the watering. And of course I will remove leaf-sheats as soon as practicable without injuring pseudobulbs.

Has anybody had any similar experiences? Any advice?
    It would also interest me why all my Sarongs are so odd this year! I will post a picture soon ...

Best Regards
    Lars

Real Name
    Lars Kurth
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Renanthera & Angraecoids
    Member's Country Flag

Don't have a picture of an affected Sarong, but you can see how the Sarongs have grown larger than the pseudobulb. When the bulb comes out, the top of the Saron opens and water can get trapped between bulb and sarong.

Also when the sarongs become yellow, some do not dry but become glassy and mushy.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

It might be you need to watch when you water this one. No watering it from the top...and you may need more air movement.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

I agree with Connie , what is your humidity running ? if very succulent then it might be high . I tried some of my Catts. outside a few years ago after a lot of rain I had pretty much the same thing going on tops not drying out fast enough ..

Real Name
    Lars Kurth
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Renanthera & Angraecoids
    Member's Country Flag

Yes, in the summer the humidity in the greenhouse is high. That helps with my mounted plants, of which I have loads. Humidity is much lower now, but all the Sarongs are excessively large and succulent. I suppose they would have dried already by now, if the humidity had been lower.

Real Name
    Lars Kurth
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Renanthera & Angraecoids
    Member's Country Flag

I removed all the sarongs. Indeed in many of them moisture was trapped and in a couple of them a substance like gelatine had developed.

and you may need more air movement.
    I have three strong fans in the greenhouse: so I am fine on air movement.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Good to hear it is not a problem that can't be fixed might have to watch the leaf so it does not droop over from losing the support of the sarong .. The Catt. looks very good .