Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KeikiGrow Plus application

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.

Thanks for the reply, I grow them in my room so there is no significant difference between night and day temperatures. I talked with the manufacturer of the Keikigrow Paste and he told me the Paste should be adapted to the Hybrids i grow. Hybrids that are grown in Holland and sold here in Romania.

If anyone has any advice please share it.

thank you very much!!!

Real Name
    Howard
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything That Will Grow
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    Welcome back Howard, where you bin? I tried the Keiki paste, remember me. All I got was flower buds. But it makes sense when I think about it, that, our temp. here in Qld. will be around that 29C during the day, and 17-20C at night, in a month or two. That is the time to try the keiki paste? As the chid. has finished flowering by then. Do you agree.
    So you should be coming into your spring/summer. Wait until the temps get to 18 to 20 c day and night. This should get the Phal to enter into its vegetative stage. Then gently peel off the covering of a node on an old GREEN spike and have at it.... good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by refu View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I grow them in my room so there is no significant difference between night and day temperatures. I talked with the manufacturer of the Keikigrow Paste and he told me the Paste should be adapted to the Hybrids i grow. Hybrids that are grown in Holland and sold here in Romania.

If anyone has any advice please share it.

thank you very much!!!
    The paste should work whether you are using it on a species or a hybrid Phal. And where the plant is grown has no bearing on its effectiveness.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleya, cymbidium
    Member's Country Flag

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by orchidlady View Post
    Getting bloom spikes is always a possibility when using keiki hormone products. What you get depends somewhat on the plant's current cycle (blooming versus growing) as well as culture (light, temperature, etc.). Since Phals are starting to go into their blooming cycles this time of year, that's most likely having an affect on getting blooms instead of keikis.

Susan
    Hi, Susan.
    What you say is, in my experience, very true. If the plant is in veg state you will probably get keikis, in inflorescence, spikes. I have been playing with a product called KeikiPro and it has been working on everything, even catts to initiate growth on dormant eyes. Beware, however, of weird growth patterns when using these hormones. I have one phal which instead of producing a spike or a keiki, produced what is basically a clone of itself from the base...no roots, what basically looks like simply another plant-like a twin!
    Best of luck!
    Remo

Real Name
    Annette
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas
    Member's Country Flag

Howard, at no time here in Qld. is our high and low, a variance of 2 deg. Celsius. When our overnight temp. is 18 deg. our day temp. is around 28 deg.(sometimes higher).

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleya, cymbidium
    Member's Country Flag

Hello all...
    here are some photos of plants I've used keikipro on and what happened...
    this catt has 3 new leads from dormant eyes.
    the next is a phal with a normal spiking pattern which was treated at the exact spot as the spike.
    pic 3 is of a phal treated on both sides of the main growth. Notice on the left is what looks like a spike but is really a clone of the main growth-no roots will develop-this has been the pattern when they come out of the stalk-and on the right is what looks like a perfectly normal spike developing.
    the next pic is from the existing spike which was trimmed when it finished flowering a few months ago-notice that at the top of the spike is another clone emerging and lower down the next node the same thing. If the pattern is the same neither of these growths will actually develop roots so that they can become independent of the host plant. I've had mixed results suing this product. I have a miltassia with 3 new leads that I treated. Looks great.
    But who knows what you will really get?
    Thanks, Remo
    Attached Images Attached Images     

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.

Here is my second attempt of producing a keiki, the pictures are bellow:
    What do you think??

Real Name
    Howard
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything That Will Grow
    Member's Country Flag

Hard to tell... a bit early. Wait another week or so and maybe a leave will begin....

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleya, cymbidium
    Member's Country Flag

Refu...something is happening...good luck with it-Remo

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.

Yes and it looks different from the other times I tried, hope it will be a keiki. This time it didn't grow in lenght like the other times. It's been 40 days since I applied the paste.
    The other time i applied it after 40 days they were 2-3 cm long so I have my hopes this time it will be ok.

Real Name
    Annette
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas
    Member's Country Flag

Keep us informed Refu on the outcome of the "growth", you have me intrigued.