Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Tulip sylvestris

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Tulip sylvestris

OK, don't worry tulip time can't last forever. I won't post many more of these.

Tulip sylvestris

Another species, another small one. Origin unknown. Now naturalized in Europe, N. Africa, Middle East and Russia.

No, keep posting Kev.

Also state characteristics: ie, squirrel-proof, how quick to spread, special care requirements, etc. This is a form of home shopping for me...

Julie

Julie

OK, I will.

This one is about 8 inches tall and seems dead hardy here in MN. I've lost a few species when we've had very cold winters with no snow cover. This one seems to take it OK. They increase nicely, squirrels don't touch them. I have most of my species in an area of my garden that stays kind of dry during the summer. From what I've read, that seems to be one thing most of them like. A lot of these species are from regions with really severe climates, at least very little rainfall in the summer.

Real Name
    Rob Parsons
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phragmipedium
    Member's Country Flag

I'm glad Julie whipped you into shape, Kev! If she hadn't, I would have!! Yeppers, the chains would be out. Seriously, I enjoy looking at your species tulip pix. I have never seen species available here.

I have a few tulips in my garden that had a hard existence. Some were planted too close to the house and would emerge WAYYYYY too early and then gradually or suddenly freeze to death. (February in Manitoba has that effect!) The ones a bit further away got browsed by rabbits and just declined because they had very little foliage left to plump up their bulb reserves. I was literally down to a single plant when I decided to surround it with chicken wire. I've done it every year since and it gradually increased in size, with increasing number of blooms. I said a single plant, BUT either there was a second bulb surviving or it seeded itself because I now have two quite different flowers in my clump. How common is seeding for hybrid tulips?

Cheers,

Rob

Probably not too uncommon if you don't deadhead them. That's the main reason so many people complain about their iris reverting back to something else after many years of growth. They don't deadhead, the seeds fall amongst the other iris and sprout. Usually, they are much more vigorous than their hybrid parents and just outgrow them.

Real Name
    Rob Parsons
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phragmipedium
    Member's Country Flag

Good to know. I generally *do* deadhead, but I certainly do not rule out the possibility of one escaping me. From your comments, it sounds more like there probably was a second (i.e. different flower) bulb surviving and it just took a few years to plump up to a size where it was capable of blooming.
    Cheers,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Orchidzrule
    Some would emerge WAYYYYY too early and then gradually or suddenly freeze to death. (February in Manitoba has that effect!)
    God, Rob - I hope you're not speaking from personal experience about family or friends! I love stepping out during an early thaw. I'll certainly rethink that now...

Julie

Real Name
    Rob Parsons
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phragmipedium
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    God, Rob - I hope you're not speaking from personal experience about family or friends! I love stepping out during an early thaw. I'll certainly rethink that now...

Julie
    LOL Julie,

None of my family or friends have actually perished from cold, although sometimes it seems like we've had a narrow escape.

Thank God, Rob!

Stoke the fires and huddle a bit longer. Summer's not here quite yet!

Count the children at bedtime...

Julie