Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Brassovola nodosa

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Ania
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    I like them all

I have B. nodosa that is happy in a basket with sphagnum moss on south facing window. I've had it for 5+ years, flowers several times a year. Most of the time new growth comes with flowers. I've given a division of it to my sister and it does well for her too. I soak it in RO water or put it out in the rain when the moss is completely dry. In the summer I hang it under the deck with full sun exposure after 3 pm. It gets fertilized about 2x/month. My humidity inside is around 50%. I believe that it likes to grow on the dry side.

A

It definitely wants to dry out between waterings, but if it's in an open basket in moss, or mounted, that will happen quickly in an arid winter environment. So adjust your watering accordingly.

McJulie

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Member's Country Flag

That orchid is magnificent! How old is it? How do you get through the leaves in order to water it? Just amazing!

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mystacidium
    Member's Country Flag

They dont really need a ton of humibity. Its definately a prime candidate for mounting. Mine doubled its size this year since I mounted in Jan. It gets bright light, when it starts to get purple spots, I move it to a lower source of light. The spots will go away. I give it lots of air movement. The faster the water evaporates and the plant dries out, the sooner I can give it more water? It usually grows four new growths, the sheaths dry out. Then another wave of growths mature and their sheaths do not dry out. Then altogether the dried sheaths and new ones start developing into spikes. Ive got 4 of the sheaths that look papery on the outside, but are hard and still alive on the inside. Then another 5 growths that are maturing. So hopefully Ill have 9 spikes come late winter.

My house has been staying at around 40% even with the pellet stove going. Is that high enough for this orchid? I have one South facing window so I guess I know where this one will be living!!!

Sorry to hear about the ones that are not doing well. I hope the link I provided and the words of other posters will help you.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

What gets me is my Little Stars, which has nodosa as a parent, is doing fine and has several spikes. I must admit, it is in a basket in sphag, while the nodosa is in large bark.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    What gets me is my Little Stars, which has nodosa as a parent, is doing fine and has several spikes. I must admit, it is in a basket in sphag, while the nodosa is in large bark.
    How is your nodosa doing, Diane? I am getting the impression that it does not really like its roots contained or enclosed much.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoOrchid View Post
    How is your nodosa doing, Diane? I am getting the impression that it does not really like its roots contained or enclosed much.
    I think it is about 2 weeks away from the compost bag.... It has lost about 70% of the leaves it had, only the tiny original ones are left. (about 2.5 inches tall and very thin). It's in large bark, living with my other catts. I can only guess that you are right about the roots. Next time I'll try a mounted one.

I have a decent sized nodosa, nothing huge, in sphag and clay. I've only had it a few months, but it gets a good drying out a few days after watering, and it seems pretty happy. It's still early in my ownership, but with the clay you provide a bit more moisture than an open basket or a mount.

My Little Stars is in moss in an open basket and I worry that it's not getting enough moisture.

It's an interesting thread and I'm eager to see how my guys fare.

McJulie

I found a new root on mine and evidense that it will soon have them popping out everywhere!! This is no weeney looking thing either, it is BIG! Woo Hoo!