Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do your Friends And Family think of your Orchid Hobby

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bill
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Oncidium,and Catts
    Member's Country Flag

My partner is very supportive of my orchid obsession because I support him in his photography obsession. One of the great things about our hobbies is that we have met some really great people and have developed lasting friendships with people having the same interests. Most of my friends and work collegues think my growing orchids is neat but really don't understand my complete fascination/obsession with them and why I have 200 plus plants. They think it is too much work and money spent. Perhaps, but I don't buy lottery tickets, rarely drink, don't smoke and because of having a gourmet cook in the house rarely eat out so I have extra money to spend on my orchids. I just wish when my friends buy me a gift they wouldn't buy me orchids. Of course I love and appreciate the thought and yes the plant--- but how many NOID phals does one need?LOL My partner is a little more concerned with the time I will be devoting as president of the orchid society but I remind him of the time he spends with photography classes and photo excursions---- so all is cool. I admit I do get a major eye roll at times when a large box of new orchid plants are delivered to the door but I just smile, shrug and quickly take them to the basement. When asked how many plants I bought I mumble something about there being so much packing for just a couple little plants.LOL

Real Name
    AL
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous Types
    Member's Country Flag

I can relate to much that has been written here. Pavel I have also been asked about going into business growing/selling orchids. My collection is to small and my expertise to weak for propagation, etc. and I am sure its a tough way to make money. I tell people that being in business this way would take a lot of the fun out of it. I do not think they fully understand this. Oh well, In the mean time, in between time, ain't we got fun........... AL

Real Name
    Deepak
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All
    Member's Country Flag

My hobby friends are the only support, My family members thinks " I am doing a useless job" and my other friends thinks that am MAD" Born from some other world doing weird things ". Only supportive person me (I a supporting myself).

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

My wife is very tolerant, except for the occasional frowns and raised eyebrows.To avoid the signs of disapproval I try to sneak in my new acquisitions without her knowing. She does accompany me to orchid shows but I suspect so she can keep an eye on me so that I don't go overboard with buying new plants.My friends,other than fellow orchid growers, think I am crazy to pay the prices for my orchids. My relatives love the flowers. Except for my eldest son who grows a few orchids the other two boys are not interested.

Real Name
    mojamoja
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, bromeliads & vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Mabuhay!

In general my family loves to plant (terrrestrial) but more into flowers as decoration. But when it comes to planting they want instant gratification which most orchids can only provide in their own time. And most of the time, i don't tell them how much an orchid costs because its either they don't believe that some species are really pricey or i'll get a remark like "how much did you pay for that piece of grass this time?" or like "how long this time its going to flower?"

My friends would frown or cry or give a deep-sigh once i ask them to accompany me in garden shows except for those who are also into my hobby. Sometimes, if my friends spots a small "garden show" or a "plant sale" in shopping malls they would really try to distract me because it would take me an hour or so to check out the plants. hehehehhe

Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    I feel pretty sure my friends think I am possessed by some orchid demon and my family has given up any hope of me ever growing veggies in my greenhouse. hahaha... I mean, I manage an orchid forum, I am on the executive board of my orchid society, I have met most of the big orchid vendors in person, hahah... yeah, come to think of it, I am pretty sure my friends think I am an orchid nut. I even have a bumper sticker that that says it all:

Attachment 35548

So yeah, they probably think I am a bit obsessed - but they love me and love to visit my home and greenhouse to see the beautiful blooms.

Cheers,
    BD
    nice bruce! where can i get one of those? that would look really good on my audi's butt end! (no joke, really)

i have had mixed reactions from friends and family, for one, 99% of my friends reckon i am weird, am possesed or i am just a "confused young man"
    (these are 15-16 yr olds too dont forget!) while most of my family love it, they just try really hard not to get me talking about them!
    its like "latin world, here i come!"

Real Name
    Don Keim
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

My friends think it is interesting - at arm's length. My partner goes with me to all the shows, an extra pair of hands to hold boxes, but has no interest othat than that I enjoy them. My partner also keeps me in Swarovsky orchids - so every time a new one comes out, I drop a hint or two.............It used to be fish - I had 40 aquariums and bred many. Fish, budgies (Cindi), horses (Betty), lizards - or orchids. They are all living things and we all learn to celebrate them in our own way.
    Bruce - I NEED one of those bumper stickers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Real Name
    Betty
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

Yes, The world is an interesting, fascinating place, when one thinks of ALL the wonderful hobbies one can have. I can hardly believe how much FUN I have, everyday! Betty...HORSE & ORCHID lover...:-)

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiorchids View Post
    nice bruce! where can i get one of those? that would look really good on my audi's butt end! (no joke, really)
    Quote Originally Posted by Germinatorman View Post
    Bruce - I NEED one of those bumper stickers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hahah...glad you like the bumper sticker. You can get one and support the forum at the link found in my signatur (OrchidTalk Forum Gear) below. I thought there was a link on here somewhere else, but guess I removed it at some point. I will make sure to put it into the site update that we are working on.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Vincent
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllums, Bulbophyllums
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    I feel pretty sure my friends think I am possessed by some orchid demon and my family has given up any hope of me ever growing veggies in my greenhouse. hahaha... I mean, I manage an orchid forum, I am on the executive board of my orchid society, I have met most of the big orchid vendors in person, hahah... yeah, come to think of it, I am pretty sure my friends think I am an orchid nut. I even have a bumper sticker that that says it all:

Attachment 35548

So yeah, they probably think I am a bit obsessed - but they love me and love to visit my home and greenhouse to see the beautiful blooms.

Cheers,
    BD
    Can I get that design out and make it into car decal...haha..

Cheers
    Vincent