Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving established plants in SH to normal media?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Satish
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Dendrobium, Aerid, Phal
    Member's Country Flag

Default moving established plants in SH to normal media?

Hi,

Has anyone moved any of their plants from SH to normal media? Especially the ones that were well established in SH for about a year. I acquired couple of Rhyncostylis gigantea and Aerides seedlings. I do not know if this is the right thing, I wanted to give them a boost using SH, especially with the low humidity and summer heat until they grow up a bit. I would like to take them out next year during the monsoon (2012) and put them in regular media or mount them. Would they be too shocked? Is this even something that I should try?

-Satish

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

I look forward to the responses to this question, Satish. To me, it seems that it would be pretty stressful for the plant, but Orchids are tough.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Satish
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Bruce, My assumption was the same and as such I wanted to time it with the monsoon so that the shock could be minimized as the humidity would be high during monsoon. Maybe I will this with 1 or 2 seedlings instead of experimenting with the 5 that I have. The problem is that the current humidity levels are very low (15%) and I do not have the space to put up a GH I'm trying to water them atleast couple of times daily.

Satish

Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Firstly putting Rhyncos and Aerides in SH is not a good idea at all. They need to dry out between waterings, or else they will rot. I don't think that they will get adapted to SH in the first place, so the future question will not arise LOL !

Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by satishsherikar View Post
    Hi Bruce, My assumption was the same and as such I wanted to time it with the monsoon so that the shock could be minimized as the humidity would be high during monsoon. Maybe I will this with 1 or 2 seedlings instead of experimenting with the 5 that I have. The problem is that the current humidity levels are very low (15%) and I do not have the space to put up a GH I'm trying to water them atleast couple of times daily.

Satish
    Satish you do not need a GH to maintain high humidity levels. Just place your orchids together along with other plants like ferns etc, you can also place the pots on upturned clay pots that are placed in water trays the clay pots wick the water and keep the humidity high. Before I had a GH I was growing orchids in my Balcony in a weather not very different from the one in Banglore.

Real Name
    Satish
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Amey, I had read on one of the orchid forums that they have been successful in growing & flowering Rhyncostylis in SH. That is the reason I was thinking of trying it out. I have placed some ferns and anthuriums and lillies around, but my vandas are beginning to show signs of stress. I will try the clay pot method with couple of my plants as I do not have lot of space either

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidium alliance

I can't say much about the plants in question, but I have done it with a Paph. It was doing great in SH for 2 years or so and then we moved. The pot got knocked around a bit and after the move things weren't so happy so I repotted and decided on normal media. The plant is fine, blooming, growing, etc. but it did have quite a dip growth-wise. Hard to say though whether it was the move, other factors relating to the move or the media change that threw it for a loop, but it certainly noticed.

However, it's fine now, just still has some catching up to do.

Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Satish, please PM me the link about the Rhyncho in SH, I would like to read more and see what they did to coax this specie into SH, better if they hav pictures, As I really don`t believe in words. On the otherhand, what are your Vandas planted in?

Real Name
    Leslie
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I have an aerides lawrenceae that has been in SH three years now and has not only flourished, but it currently has a keiki and six inflorescences. Since it has lots of aerial roots in addition to roots growing in the SH, I will be attempting to remove it from the SH after it finishes blooming. I will be doing lots of misting when that happens! (I posted a pics of it a few months back and will be posting another soon as an update.)

Real Name
    Byron Aguilar
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Lady Slippers and Cattleyas
    Member's Country Flag

i don't think its a good idea to move them from regular media to s/h because they will most likely lose all of their roots due to the new environment in s/h. it will grow new roots eventually but they will also die if switched back to regular media. Remember orchids grow roots accordingly to the environment they are exposed to. I think they will be shocked too much, just use some humidity trays to help with humidity