Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: MOTM - OrchidTalk Member of the Month

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Exclamation MOTM - OrchidTalk Member of the Month

We are starting a tradition here at OrchidTalk: MOTM (Member of the Month) Orchid Interviews. This idea was brought forth as a suggestion in our recent community survey as a way to improve member interaction and build community. I thought it was an excellent suggestion and it is one of many changes coming to our forum based on your responses, suggestions, critiques, and requests. (Look for future surveys if you did not get to participate in that one.)

The way this will work: Each month, members are encouraged to nominate members and supply reasons why a certain member should be selected MOTM. The admins will review all nominations and select a monthly winner. After selection, the winner will be sent a link to complete an interview to share with the community. Any active member of the community can be nominated, but can only be selected one time for member of the month in any given year.

We will feature the MOTM on our home page along with a link to his/her interview. All MOTM winners will be included in an archive page that will be updated each month. Each interview will be posted in a new thread in the Community Interviews section of the forum for response/ discussion/ congratulations by our members.

After all MOTM have been selected for the current year, a Member of the Year will be selected by vote of the current active members. The Member of the Year will receive a special OrchidTalk gift and special recognition for her/his participation in this community.

Basic Rules and Conditions for Nominating a Member:

1. Member must be currently active in the community.
    (IE - member should participate often in the discussions, post new threads, login regularly, etc...)

2. When nominating a member, you must give a reason you believe that member should receive the award.
    (IE: Member X should win this award because she posts such helpful responses to newbie questions. ~~ or ~~ Member Y should win because he shares such unique orchids and photos. Etc...)

3. Members can be nominated anytime throughout the year, but can only be selected once during a current calendar year. After becoming MOTM for calendar year 2011, that member should not be nominated again until the next calendar year.

4. All nominations should be Private Messaged to Brutal_Dreamer. Use
    MOTM Nomination
    as the title of your PM. This will allow me to sort all nomination private messages from all the other private messages I get on a daily basis.

5. Nominations are open for the next month starting today and a winner will be selected by the third day of the month.
    (IE: Since we are starting in mid - March, the first winner will be for April 2011. Nominations are open now and will close on the final day of the current month.)

6. No other rules.

So, send in the nominations by Private Message to Brutal_Dreamer and lets get a MOTM selected.

PS - If you would like to sponsor or even co-sponsor an award/gift for the winner(s) of this contest, please contact me. Having a sponsor will improve the award given to the winner(s) of this community award.

Have fun!!

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Keep the nominations coming!

And to answer a few questions:

Yes, you can nominate more than one person, but only one will be selected each month.

No, a larger post count doesn't mean a person is more likely to be selected. Any active member is eligible.

Yes, you can send separate pm messages, to nominate people. Just make sure to put "MOTM Nomination" as the title of your pm.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

A couple more updates:

Please be sure to PM (Private Message) your nominations.

Also, though I am very flattered, please do not nominate me for this award. (not because I don't appreciate it, but because I am managing the contest. )

I am very excited about this MOTM contest.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

I will be adding a form to make nomination of member(s) of the month an easier process. No more need to Private Message me. Just click the link that will appear at the top of the screen and fill in the two blanks on the form. After you submit the form, you will not be able to submit it again during the same month. You should click the red "X" to dismiss the form once you have nominated someone for member of the month. Only active members who are eligible to participate will see the link at the top of the screen. This link should become active around the middle of each month. On or around Feb. 15, 2012 look for it at the top of the screen. If there is not enough participation through nominations, then I will discontinue the opportunity. Thanks to all of those people who do participate and another congratulations to all of the honored members so far.

cheers,
    BD