Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: A little bit of help from my friends ( v2.)

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Default A little bit of help from my friends ( v2.)

I tried this post elsewhere, but ( apart from 1 pm) no replies so far ; and then I thought, well, I don't look at every thread , life is too short , but there are some I look at fairly often,after the main photography groups if I have any spare time, and this is one of them ; so I thought to try it here. The question goes...
    I have just had a parcel of orchids from a certain Phillipines nursery - species that look interesting/I have seen here/ find in the books - but have never grown. Any advice on possible culture will be most useful - about orchids nor normally seen in UK/Europe !
    They are :-
    Tuberolabium phillipsii - this one I assume I will grow like my T.quisumbingii which does well for me - as you have seen. ( I use smallish bark - 7-10mm pieces, with a bit of Perlite, hung up near , but yards below - the Vandas.
    Tricholglottis brachiata - how I have drooled over pics of this !. I intend to grow it like and with my renantheras ? Which means near the vandas in the roof of the greenhouse in bark/moss.
    Dendrobium amethystoglossa - actually I have bought this before (twice) and lost it. Where did I go wrong ? Maybe it needs a hard dry rest , just being misted perhaps, until a new growth is seen ? I treated the last ones like D.nobile. too wet I guess ?
    Cleisostoma subulatum - for some reason - ( too much wine over dinner ?) I ordered two - and they have come growing on small blocks of tree-fern. I could hang one up and spray it - among the Gongoras etc - which like moist/shady humid conditions - but the terete like leaves tell me otherwise !. Grow with my Holcoglossums ? Dry but spray regularly ?
    Cirrhopetalum (Bulbo) makoyan - no problems here - I grow dozens of similar species.
    Ceratocentron fesellii - this was a mistake I'm sure (on my part) - looking at the tiny thing - would fit into a thimble - Whatever I do to a plant that small it will feel neglected/underwatered/overwatered... pity - it looks beautiful on the IOSPE pic.
    Aporodes fragrans - which Jay says is now Eria aporoides. Someone esle wants to call it a dendrobium - because it has overlapping imbricated /scales/leaves - rather than bulbs/canes - hardly typical dendrobium, but whatever... I think this is going to need a most environment - maybe fine bark/moss and a lot of spraying ? And light ?
    I hope for some good avice !. Thanks people.

Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Member's Country Flag

i have no idea about environmental and culture requirements for these but my they are beauties! good luck and dont forget to post pictures when they flower! (and im sure they will!)

Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Member's Country Flag