Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vanda Robert Delight Blue Black bloom but not happy

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Jennevie Shih
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis, Vanda, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Default Vanda Robert Delight Blue Black bloom but not happy

This is the 3rd bloom of my Vanda Robert Delight Blue Black, the 2nd bloom had only 1 flower, the rest of the buds dropped, thankfully this time it given me more blooms.
    But sad to say the plant now is unhappy, no root growth seen, all the tips of the roots turned white and seemed to be drying out, and became thinner, some of the roots even starting to turn yellow, and the leaves bacame softer to touch... I never had problem with this plant...only this time. I hope I can still make it to recover. I'm not good with Vandas...

Jenn
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

I have a couple of plants of this cultivar ; I wonder how you are watering ?
    It looks as thouigh you have some bark piled up in the little basket ?
    As you know , they grow them in the plastic baskets, bare root - no compost at all - in Thailand, but they soak the roots with a heavy spray twice a day - I am adding a picture showing this being done at the nursery where I think this plant was bred.
    Personally I find that they don't do well like this, so I cut the plastic basket away - lots of short cuts taking a piece at a time, soak the whole thing for an hour, cut off all the thin
    stringy shrivelled roots - they are dead and useless ; then bundle all the remaining roots into a pot and add some coarse bark. I don't know whether growing in a pot will work for you where you are - but it does work for me. Then I water by filling the pot about weekly in the growing season and every two weeks otherwise, and misting the plant every few days as well.
    Often it takes a particularly warm spell for them to initiate new roots, and they tend to shut down again in cooler spells especially if no sunshine.
    They are tough - you should be able to get it to pull round. Best of luck.

Name:  Culture-watering-at-Kultana.jpg
Views: 6272
Size:  166.6 KB

Real Name
    Gavin Tang
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    How can u limit yourself?
    Member's Country Flag

Thats a cool pic Geoff!

Real Name
    Horst Dieter Eisele
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Vandas need high humidity.
    In summer I water my Vandas two times a day one time early in the morning before the sun get too strong and one time late afternoon. In addition I spray at noon the roots when it is a hot day and when the humidity is low.
    Further it is recommended to grow them over a permanently wet soil or even over a pool of water.
    Where I grow my Vandas watering have to be adjusted to less watering during the colder winter days.
    In the tropical climate of Manila they should get water at least two times a day if it's not raining.

Very important for the well-being of Vandas is the amount of light they get. They need as much light as possible without to burn the leafs. A 40% shade cloth about 3 to 4 meters above the plants or 50% shade cloth about 2 to 3 meters above the plants should do the trick.

Remove the bark as good as you can without to remove the plant from the pot and without to brake the roots. Any further action will disturb the plant and this is not good when your plant is not doing well. Any kind of compost is not good for Vandas.

The Philippines are the home of some of the most beautiful Vanda species.
    In or around Manila you should find nurseries growing Vandas.
    Visit one of this nurseries and learn from them.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

As noted, vandas need lots of light and humidity. I think your bloom is really beautiful, but increase the humidity so that the roots continue to do well.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

After reading these posts about the care of Vanda's, I think I know what i've been doing wrong. Thanks to those that took their time to post all that information. My Vanda's thank you too...lol!

Real Name
    Jennevie Shih
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Thank you all once again for taking your time to give me advices.

I water my hanged and mounted plants twice a day, and for the vanda sometimes thrice a day when the weather is hot, coz it's summer time here now. Maybe the humidity is the problem coz i grow them outdoor, on our rooftop, and the place is all cemented and get quite hot during the summer days, that's why i shade the area with the green net. i only put some pale of water to increase humidity and wet the floor, maybae that is still not enough. maybe will still have to put more pales of water around...
    As i saw the picture posted by Geoff and compared the environment they grow the vandas vs mine, i think the rooftop environment is too dry.
    I inserted some coconut barks and moss in the basket thinking that this act might help induce new root growth...but still haven't got any new roots after two months of doing it, so might be better to remove it...I also used Root Booster fertilizer for it, but still no good news...just hope it will imrove as days go by...but the yellowing of some roots really is so depressing...
    Will take actions and follow your advices. Hope it will really recover. Fingers crossed!
    Thank you again!

Jenn

Real Name
    Jojo
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vanda, Cattlya, Species
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dukejenn View Post
    This is the 3rd bloom of my Vanda Robert Delight Blue Black, the 2nd bloom had only 1 flower, the rest of the buds dropped, thankfully this time it given me more blooms.
    But sad to say the plant now is unhappy, no root growth seen, all the tips of the roots turned white and seemed to be drying out, and became thinner, some of the roots even starting to turn yellow, and the leaves bacame softer to touch... I never had problem with this plant...only this time. I hope I can still make it to recover. I'm not good with Vandas...

Jenn

I was told by a veteran and seasoned grower of orchids that the secret of caring for strap-leaved vandas is to keep moisture/humidity high. According to my friend it would help if the flooring where strap-leaved vandas are growing are covered with pieces of broken clay pots or volcanic rock to increase humidity, the plants will fare better. I saw some growers in Thailand before growing the vandas over man-made pools/canals of water. In the Philippines, the broken clay pots/volcanic rock ground covering will do well and plants must be watered often. They must receive around 50-70% light so if you have some netting to help shade the plants from direct sun that will help.

addenda: Concrete flooring is really too dry for vandas. I think that might be the main cause why your vanda is not initiating new roots. Remove the bark and organic material you placed in the basket as vandas like plenty of MOIST air circulation moving freely around the roots. If the general atmosphere or air around feels dry then that is the main culprit.

addenda #2: After taking a look at the picture once more, I think that your environment or the place that you are hanging your vanda might be too dry. Water you plant 2-3 times a day making sure that the aerial roots get a drenching but make sure that the plant is dry after 5:30 pm upwards to avoid rot. During hot, dry days regular mistings will be very beneficial. Actually in my experience growing orchids in the city, I find that misting the plant several times during the day is better than watering. During hot, dry days I normally would water heavily early in the morning then do several misting throughout the day as the plant dries out, then just before 5:30 pm, I would do a second and final heavy watering. By evening the plant will be dry but still retain just enough moisture.

Try the broken pots or volcanic rocks on the flooring of the grow area for vandas or maybe you can place a couple or grouping of potted plants to increase humidity. I would prefer anthuriums, spathoglottis or even some bromeliads at the bottom since these are water lovers. The nice thing about anthuriums is that they are potted in coco chips as media which does help increase moisture. Of course, these plants do not want direct sun either or their leaves will burn in that case, the broken pots or volcanic rock would work. When you mist, you can use a hand sprayer like the ones they use in the barber shops because they can deliver a fine mist although it is very hard work having to spray manually.
    Last edited by ManilaByNight; April 30th, 2011 at 01:27 AM.

Real Name
    Jennevie Shih
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks a lot for your advice Jojo! I rearranged the grow area and put the vandas together on one side and also added some other plants with soil to try to increase humidity.

will post updates if i see some improvements. hopefully very soon

Real Name
    Randy
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda and Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

jennevie, if your struggling keeping giving your vanda the humidity it needs, why not pot it? thats what i always do when im trying to save an ailing Vanda, and most of the time this works.
    Also, putting some spanish moss at the roots, may help with this. Also using clay pots (Palayok) filled with water is better than using plastic pails. Just a thought.