Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!! Phal's Dying Quickly

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Exclamation Help!! Phal's Dying Quickly

I was given a orchid in bloom and I guess I over-watered the plant. It was in a sphagnum moss medium and was overly soaked. I think it may not have gotten enough light during the northern room at the time. When I finally decided to repot the orchid, I had to cut off a lot of the mushy roots which were yellow and soaked it in hydrogen peroxide. I repotted it in a bark mixture and moved it to a southern room.

Two weeks later, the leaves started turning yellow again but now this time, it's yellowing rather quickly. Within a couple of days, 3 out of 4 leaves started turning yellow! Please, tell me what I am doing wrong and how can I save this orchid?

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Ellycin,

Please unpot this orchid and take a photo of the plant and roots. Let the members see what is going on with the plant and they will be better able to help you save it if it is still possible. Learn how to attach photos by following the link in my signature below this post.

Cheers,
    BD

I believe mine is a complete goner. Unpot it and all the yellow leaves fell off. And it seems the roots are now non-existent. Should I just toss it then and call myself an orchid killer?

Name:  003.JPG
Views: 2053
Size:  167.0 KB
    Name:  002.JPG
Views: 1022
Size:  188.6 KB
    Name:  001.JPG
Views: 1278
Size:  129.7 KB

I believe this orchid is a goner. When unpotted it, the yellow leaves all fell off. And it seems that the roots are now non-existent. Should I just toss this and consider this as an orchid killer?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Oh wow, yes that one is a goner. Sorry. BUT - now that you have found us, why not get a healthy one and grow it right from the begining? Orchids are so much fun and bring such pleasure to those who grow and bloom them. Good luck to you.

Looking at that last photo - if this orchid really means a lot to you, you could probably save it. BUT - it will take a long time before it will bloom again. If you decide to keep it, try the spag and bag technique and keep it in very low light.

Cheers,
    BD

I had a feeling it wouldn't survive. Am afraid of picking up another one only to kill that one too. I'll think about it.

Thank you.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Don't be afraid of trying a new orchid. I am still trying to get past the orchid killer stage. I killed my first two which led me here trying to save them. I now have six. They all shows signs of thriving but I am waiting a while to see if I have learned enough. I will soon be posting pics of the first blooms I can take credit for All because of this forum.

I have mine in a SE window sitting atop a pile of stones in a pie plate. With water in the pie plate the stones hold the pot out of the water but the humidity is higher. Then you can try another phal or one of my favorites a cattleya. I would recommend going to a local orchid shop and discuss what would work for you. The members here are all very kind and will answer your questions very well. If you get one at a big box store post pictures here and ask questions about care instead of asking the people at the store, most won't know the best way to care for them.

Real Name
    Jose
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Member's Country Flag

If someone in this forum has not killed an orchid please raise your hand......................Nobody? I thought so! Elly, don't feel bad, it happens to all of us. The cure? Get another one as soon as possible!
    Jose

Real Name
    Clive
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All Orchids
    Member's Country Flag

Even i have killed one orchid,i guess every one has at some stage of learning how to look after them has killed one or two hehe or four....I can remember the first time i had to repot my first orchid..i was so frightened i would kill it..but after time i do it and think nothing about it....So dont feel bad we all have to start at the beggining even i am a begginer have 8 at the moment....got a very long way to go..even experts are always learning

Clive

Real Name
    Bob Benditzky
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal's, Paph's, Encyclia's
    Member's Country Flag

Why not try to save the one you have? Nothing to lose, and so much to gain. This is a great forum for helping newbees like us.