Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: When do goldfish breed outside?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default When do goldfish breed outside?

I have 7 goldfish in my pond - just cheap ones ($.49 each). I think they're comets. Anyway, I've had them for about 5-6 years so they are good size. I've also grown very attached to them, so no lip because they are just mutts.

Anyway, they are breeding size because I originally only had 5. One fall when I drained the pond, there were two more. That was about 3 years ago and I haven't found any new ones since.

So, around what month do these start doing their thing? Or does it happen when the water reaches a certain temperature or what? They must be eating all the eggs or something. Is there something I can do to make sure a few more babes survive?

Signed: Dad who wants more kids

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phrags
    Member's Country Flag

Kev,
    You are right..temperature is the key. Goldfish must have a chilled period. Do your goldfish stay outside through the winter in your pond ? Ours do, and they are very prolific !!!

May I ask why you drain your pond ? Our ponds are inground and at least 20 in deep...I have seen several inches of ice on them some winters...doesn't hurt a thing. We never drain ours...it takes too long to get the balance back.

If you want more fish babies, you will need to leave them in the pond through the winter, or go buy you some new goldfish in the spring !

Goldfish will eat their eggs, and frogs love the caviar,too! Some extra greenery for the eggs/fry to hide in will solve that problem.

Hope this helps...I don't want you fretting over fatherhood !

Thanks Gilda. This is a small pond and freezes all the way to the bottom - you know MN - Tundraland?? The fish overwinter in a large unheated aquarium in my basement. The water temp drops to around 45-50 during their stay indoors. Since I've already had a few babies in past years, they must be getting the necessary drop in temp.

I was also wondering if they breed when the temps reach a certain high? I have noticed what appears to be courtship behavior a bit later in the spring/early summer.

It was really fun watching the kids grow up. For almost the first year, they were a really dull brown and then suddenly became gold as they became older. The transformation was very cool.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Hi ! bet you thought you were rid of me . One of the things I used were the plastic pot scratchers weighted down with rocks for the fry to hide in . Mine were in a stock tank all year with a heater for winter . Gin