Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes Judith Finn - help!!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Ali
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    the weird ones
    Member's Country Flag

Unhappy Nepenthes Judith Finn - help!!

So I bought this little guy from an online vendor about a month ago. I purposely bought the mature sized plant because I've got little fungus gnats flying around from the office plants (not mine) and I wanted something to catch them. What I got was a 3" pot with a few leaves and no pitchers. I contacted the the company and they assured me it was mature and should develop pitchers soon. There was new growth coming up so I didn't really question it - this is my first shot at carnivorous plants. I bought this particular pitcher plant because the description lead me to believe it would do well in the same conditions as my orchids; temperature and humidity levels were about the same. I'm concerned that this is not in fact the case. Since I've had it, I've been keeping it moist and it's right by my humidifier. It continues to grow new leaves but eventually the tips turn brown, then the whole leaf, then it dies. I see evidence of pitcher buds (?) at the ends of these leaves but they just keep dying. Can anyone with some experience in this area tell me what I'm doing wrong? I am forever grateful

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 458
Size:  291.5 KB

Real Name
    Mitch
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

FWIW, I understand Nepenthes are extremely sensitive to water quality. Use only distilled water or R/O water would be even better. Also, never feed them, if at all, with any fertilizer other than one formulated specifically for Nepenthes. I'm sure someone here with far more experience than I will be here shortly with further advice.

Real Name
    Ali
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    the weird ones
    Member's Country Flag

Thank you I use carbon filtered water, but I'll grab a jug of distilled today

Real Name
    Don Keim
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

What kind of soil are you using?

Real Name
    Ali
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    the weird ones
    Member's Country Flag

I honestly don't know, whatever the grower potted it in. I haven't changed anything about the plant other than watering it when needed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

I have a couple nepenthes...they need very high humidity and boglike conditions. If at all possible, try to keep it outdoors...mine does much better when I keep it about a foot off the ground. I am guessing while your plant may be old enough to produce a pitcher....it is seedling size. I have seen alot of pitcher plants and that one looks tiny to me. You might want to go to a website for nepenthes and carniverous plants and ask what to do for that one. For one as small as yours; i'm guessing it might do very well in a simple terrarium set up. A nice glass cookie container, or a "re-purposed" plastic coke bottle might work for the terrarium. Later when it gets bigger it will do good outdoors. Good Luck...

Real Name
    Ali
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    the weird ones
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks Connie. I'm more annoyed with the company I got it from for over charging me for a seedling sized plant when they had two distinctly different listings for mature and seedling. Guess I won't be buying from them anymore. I was hoping I could keep this guy inside to take care of any bugs around my orchids, so a terrarium is probably the best option for me. I'm sure I have something at home that will work!

Real Name
    Don Keim
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Another thought, have you considered Pinguicula (Butterwort) plants? I have many of them, they grow like weeds and I keep them in my grow area in the basement. They all but totally wiped out my fungus gnat population, they bloom nicely and all you do is throw water at them.

Real Name
    Ali
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    the weird ones
    Member's Country Flag

I hadn't considered that, I really like the drama of the pitchers, but butterwort might be a better option for me haha

Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Ali it is a mature plant, just that it is a top cutting, but given the right conditions, it will quickly grow and develop pitchers, unlike seedlings which will take anywhere between a year or two to develop their first true pitchers, depending on the species. If you were looking for a plant with already a couple of big pitchers then they can be really expensive. I also think that droseras and butterworths will be better at catching those fungus gnats, pitcher plants go after a different kind of prey. Also the main problem to be addressed is the same as with most orchids, water sitting in the growing tip, that is causing it rot due to bacteria. I myself have seen devastating effects of rot on my precious Nepenthes Raja, it died sadly , Also your plant seems over potted, they have really rudimentary roots, you might want to repot in coconut coir and vermiculite (this is the mixture that has worked for me). I keep it humid, but do not wet the foliage as much as I can try.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoStems View Post
    Thanks Connie. I'm more annoyed with the company I got it from for over charging me for a seedling sized plant when they had two distinctly different listings for mature and seedling. Guess I won't be buying from them anymore. I was hoping I could keep this guy inside to take care of any bugs around my orchids, so a terrarium is probably the best option for me. I'm sure I have something at home that will work!