Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Encyclia atropurpurea

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Originally posted by Heather
    Sorry!
    No problemo.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrophylax
    Altamonte Springs (north Orlando area), FL
    Member's Country Flag

Default Re: Enc. vs. Epi.

Actually, the move of all the pseudobulbous Epi's with free lips to Encyclia was done many years ago. I'm not sure of the date, but I know it predates 1970. By this time, however, many hybrids had already been created and registered using the old name of Epidendrum atropurpureum...so the name has remained extant for horticultural purposes. Since the move to Encyclia, some of the Encyclias have been further split or re-lumped into new genera. Enc. citrina was moved to Cattleya briefly then into its own genus (Euchile, along with Eu. mariae). Encyclia cochleata was moved to Anacheilium then re-lumped into the newly proposed Prosthechea. Some other Enc's followed similar fates as well.

The RHS is actually making moves (now that the database is fully electronic) to correct some of these registration issues to reflect new taxonomy. I don't know how far down the line they plan to go, but I know that some hybrids have been reassigned to new pseudo-genera due to taxonomic changes.

Taxonomy is a constantly changing field, as it is very much a matter of opinion...what traits separate certain plants from others enough that they warrant their own classification? What traits make a plant similar enough to others that it should be included in that group? Opinions differ, and thus there is a lot of give-and-take, forcing us orchidists to either a) settle for one name and stick to it or b) read the latest taxonomical news like the Soap Opera Digest to find out what may or may not have happened to our favorite characters.

---Prem

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

From what I just looked up here, (nice logo design, prem...) apparently, for registration purposes, the genera Encyclia and Psychilis are no longer being used, and Epidendrum atropurpureum is now officially being called Epidendrum cordigerum--at least, until further notice...

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrophylax
    Member's Country Flag

well, it should be noted this is ONLY for registration purposes. If one is selling the species orchid, then Encyclia cordigera is the correct name (one might add the synonyms Epi. atropurpureum and Epi. cordigerum to the label if one has the room).

---Prem

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Yes. Encyclia cordigera is the name under which the plant has been sold for decades, ever since it was changed from Epidendrum atropurpureum. So why on earth they've now changed the registration back to genus Epidendrum (but species epithet cordigerum this time) is completely beyond me. Apparently, as you said, something taxonomic must have come up.

In any case, thanks for pointing out that it's not Encyclia atropurpurea. That was just wrong.

I've been lax about looking up old labels ever since I lost my Wildcatt. I went ahead and ordered another one.

that is all very confusing!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

I agree with you Heather. I just wanted to show off a beautiful plant. From what I understand the correct name is: Epidendrum cordigerum. Thanks to everyone who helped clear this up. I am sure that little guy out in the greenhouse would like to have his correct name on his tag.

Cheers!
    Brutal_Dreamer

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrophylax
    Member's Country Flag

My understanding re: the name for registration purposes is this:

- for the longest time, Enc. cordigera was known to hybridists as Epi. atropurpureum, and a great number of hybrids were registered under this epithet.
    - When it was changed to Encyclia cordigera, some folks ended up registering hybrids using the name "Epidendrum cordigerum"...this led to some confusion. In fact, there were at least two hybrids registered that were duplicates--Epi. Atropine (Epi. tampense x Epi. atropurpureum) was also registered as Epi. Green Glades (Epi. tampense x Epi. cordigerum) and there was another hybrid as well.
    - Very recently, in order to clear up this confusion, the RHS has invalidated those later hybrids and stated that all registrations using this species use the name "Epi. cordigerum" as the parent.

That's what the text on the Enc. Enthusiasts website was trying to reflect.

---Prem