Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Pros and Cons of outside for the summer

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Onc? impossible to choose!
    Member's Country Flag

Unhappy Pros and Cons of outside for the summer

Hello, I have an oncidium, once it stops blooming I am going to repot it and potentially take it outside for the summer. However I understand that this can lead to insect problems. What do you all recommend? Meg

I move everything outside for the summer. The plants love it and I rarely have any insect problems other than grasshoppers late in the season. You do have to be careful about those 'cause they can really chew stuff bad. I'm very late at getting stuff out this year just because the weather was so cold, but as of last weekend everything is out. I can see the difference in growth already.

I've complained about this before and will probably continue to do so for the rest of my life. Squirrels can be deadly. They can rip a plant to shreds in seconds. I lost many orchids to them in the past, but this year I made an enclosure covered with chicken wire. The orchids are all safe now from those creatures. If you have squirrels around, they probably will attack your plant unless you protect it. The hassel of doing so is well worth the effort. Orchids outside just thrive.

Real Name
    Loventana Lo
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Too many to mention
    Member's Country Flag

I agree with Kev, orchids love to be outside if the weather is warm enough for them. What I can add is that among the orchids that I grow outside, its the Oncidiums and its hybrids that are very susceptible to rot especially the young growth. So if you decide to move your Oncidiums outside, do provide some protection for them against the rain.

I move mine outside for the summer also. They seem to love it and grow like crazy. It also makes watering a lot easier and I get to come out of the basement for a few months. I haven't had any trouble with bugs other than a few grasshoppers in the late summer and those did minimal damage because I watched for them. I actually have more problems with bugs inside due to close quarters than I do outside. I had been fighting an aphid infestation the last few months and now that they are all outside the aphids are gone. Got to love those beneficial insects and they love aphids!!!
    Shalene

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I'll move some of the vandas out. They really like hanging under the maple, and it's easier to cut the sprinkler loose on them twice a day outside. Otherwise everything near and under them in the GH stays too soggy when I have to water that often.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Onc? impossible to choose!
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for the great advice- I will try to build an enclosed structure that can help protect them from the rain! Thanks again -Meg