Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Mini slice of the tropics. Orchids in bloom!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bob Benditzky
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal's, Paph's, Encyclia's
    Member's Country Flag

I bet you don't know how many you REALLY have!

Real Name
    Igor
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Encyclias. Anything scented.
    Member's Country Flag

What made me think that? Just little touches like MOM and HONOR which are distinct, that's all... I thought that was really nice. I was not referring to any informality: we all use shortcuts communicating with friends on this forum... and in today's world generally. But the examples above are diagnostic of American orthography where a UK speaker naturally uses "mum" or "honour". My goodness, American English is not Bad English or informal English! (There are many slight differences in spelling and I suppose where there is a difference, a linguist can often make a case that American orthography is preferable. If he really has nothing better to do! ) It greatly distresses me if I have upset you or anyone. Why would I want to do that?

I was truly charmed by the exchange between you and Matt and now it seems I have offended you and probably him too by my stupidity. I can now see that the humility in the tone of my remarks to him could be read as sour and mocking. But I ask you again Maura, Why would I want to do that? I am not that person.

Real Name
    Igor
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Pindar View Post
    What made me think that? Just little touches like MOM and HONOR which are distinct, that's all... I thought that was really nice. I was not referring to any informality: we all use shortcuts communicating with friends on this forum... and in today's world generally. But the examples above are diagnostic of American orthography where a UK speaker naturally uses "mum" or "honour". My goodness, American English is not Bad English or informal English! (There are many slight differences in spelling and I suppose where there is a difference, a linguist can often make a case that American orthography is preferable. If he really has nothing better to do! ) It greatly distresses me if I have upset you or anyone. Why would I want to do that?

I was truly charmed by the exchange between you and Matt and now it seems I have offended you and probably him too by my stupidity. I can now see that the humility in the tone of my remarks to him could be read as sour and mocking. But I ask you again Maura, Why would I want to do that? I am not that person.
    ... and I can only apologise for inadvertantly offending you.

Igor

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Goodness - I was being facetious - I'm a serious Anglophile, and your comment happened to triggered the schoolmarm in me. My kids and their texting/email language (or lack thereof) has the same effect.

It was just an aside, really. And NOT meant meant to hijack Matt's thread about his cool "tropics". (I do THAT when I chastise him about photos from his cellphone.)
    Last edited by mauraec; January 25th, 2012 at 12:41 PM.

Real Name
    Igor
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Gosh sorry Maura- guess I was being osersensitive. My bad! (O and I think you may well be more of am anglophile than me! We are a funny and tragic selfloathing people!)

Real Name
    Matt
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catasetinae
    Member's Country Flag

Cathy (cdayflorida) could be Connie (cjcorner) did it best when to her attention came the subject of misunderstandings, mis-interpretation when all we have between us is words and our tone and facial expressions are non existant.

In the many occasions i have thought oops or sorry with certain written posts causing seemingly bad feeling only to find its all down to our mood at the time.

So easily done Igor but usually easy to rectify in a short space of time. Often it causes increased tension as we e try to xplain or justify what we wrote but atleast the 2 people playing text tennis wrap it up quickly.

You can hijack my thread anytime Maura, I know you love my cell phone pics really!!!??.

As for the American English british english thing, wouldnt have a clue, have to squint to see the keys on my keyboard hence mistakes.

No offence, no problems. Doesnt the saying ' u say tomarto I say tomaayto derive from US - UK english difference???? Im definetly informal, couldnt even dress formal. I bet Maura that you often wished 'discipline by the cane' was still legal when you practiced teaching - can imagine a few sore knuckles.

Real Name
    Matt
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catasetinae
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by GenevaDad View Post
    I bet you don't know how many you REALLY have!
    Spot On! Bob, Still i struggle for space and room, but it dont stop me been a tad extravagant at times. Thank goodness for 'root divisions!

Real Name
    Matt
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catasetinae
    Member's Country Flag

Hey hey hey! I have the hugest grin round my chops, Matt! Pure delight- makes me want to get up and jump around (might just do that later!) Thank you for this display and the peek into your world.

Now then, where is this- g/house, conzie, sunroom or what? I picked up on the fact that you have done something constructive about humidity- that sounds intriguing, as that is the big weakness in my setup. I have a tiled floor, so could keep it watered in the warmer months I guess.. and sod the furniture... but then we'd get soppy feet when chillaxing in there. What have you undertaken, my friend?

I too have horror pictures to post and seek explanation. Not everything goes perfectly, as you say. Love the tree trunk there for mounting. Did you have to disinfect it?
    Cutting a story short, because I tend to waffle on and on, the 'grow sun room' is basically a spare bedroom upstairs with a few upgrades, new larger double glazing and built in storage ripped out , also painted specifically for functionality to battle humidity causing mould mildew. Just love the paints with fungicides mixed in. The steady controlled temp range within converted room is dictated by inclusion of two large vivariums housing waterdragons and a beardie dragon. The room was instantly claimed and allocated due to its east. part south direction. Used to sleep here also but not now.

1.5 inch depth pot trays (greenhouse) filled with bark and sphagnum cover area at base where all plants reside mounted/ suspended. As applicable reptile vivarium heat mats underneath trays to aid moisture heat convection.
    Have recently put a 2ft by 4 ft clear deep plastic tray on tray area to be used for housing a blue lobster and some aquatic plants. Your tiles will be a great help when wet. An aquarium or water feature? Situate plants aesthically with moss deco? Sphagnum moss great for holdin water and often takes root and grows.

Real Name
    Igor
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Sorry for that! Maura and I have made it up- she is a v nice woman. You listen to her, you hear! Hey thanks for the info, Matt. I really admire your determination and ingenuity. It is great to hear sphag can take root- I never dared hope, so must give it a go! There is such a lot to learn from someone like you.

Real Name
    Matt
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catasetinae
    Member's Country Flag

Sorry for that! Maura and I have made it up- she is a v nice woman. You listen to her, you hear! Hey thanks for the info, Matt. I really admire your determination and ingenuity. It is great to hear sphag can take root- I never dared hope, so must give it a go! There is such a lot to learn from someone like you.
    Yes! Maura is a star, The Paph Queen!!!!!Many alike use this forum as an outlet for multi purposes and mental stimulation or chillin and even entertainment are included even to express thoughts or to share. Certainly a few unwritten bonuses for our pycological/ mental welll being. Have found the hobby to be quite isolating and apart from my adopted mom where i live ( shes more a cut flower and vase girl) who has a small collection now herself after we united and named our local big garden center our mecca when we get the urge to spend or browse or lighten our mood.. What am i thinking..browsing ? who ever heard such garbage! she loves her moth orchids but can see shes not interested now spikes have gone, thats pretty much it so this is my outlet.

Once again Igor no problem, many of us are guilty and putting our foot in it now and again! My worst foot in the hole came when I was simply complimenting and admiring a growers blooms and all hell broke loose because my
    my final ending sentence was taken as,,, (not good anyway), the sentence was purely me offering a 'heads up' with the intention of the member to be on guard/ look out and to save money/ hassle/ heartache! Me thought I was helping someone based on what i had gathered. One of the many reasons for a forum, no? I unsubscribed to the thread as one apology wasnt enough and its the little things that i find annoying. and i apologise only once .

One good thing on that last note, bearing in mind the quantity of forums out there - any errors mistakes etc seem to escalate into knife sharp battles and quite harsh at times and even worse it invites others to jump on the band wagon for their fix of 'jerry springer' style rubbish! Quite rare on here, civilised. respectful and rules are implemented to prevent school playground name calling politics fom occuring in the firstplace. Pre OT the process of forum elimination occured unintentionally and Bingo!