Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping a Phal Orchid Alive

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Quote Originally Posted by Jef09071984 View Post
    Hi Ellycin,

I would suggest that if you know other people in your community that have Phals, please don't hesitate to ask questions with them on how they taking care of their Phals. I think it's is a good idea to do that since you are in a same community with the same factor such as environment, temperature and humidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by poetiscariot View Post
    I'll speak up for moss as a medium for Phalaenopsis. I have 5 Phal or Dtps orchids in moss and they're all doing great -- one is a rescue, even, that's putting out a new leaf way before I thought it would. I also have a few moisture-loving mini vandaceous hybrids, an Aerides and a Haraella in it -- these all have similar watering needs to Phalaenopsis. Moss is good for orchids that want even hydration, and most people I know, whether they're hobbyists growing in their houses (that's me) or serious growers with huge greenhouses use sphagnum moss for Phals. Not all, but most. The moss itself is rot-resistant -- you can use sphagnum to dress wounds. Usually, Phals succumb to crown rot, as kiwiorchids described, not root rot.

Actually, other than two of the first orchids I ever bought, years ago, the only problems I've ever had with rot have been with plants in bark. These were plants that just needed less water and more air than I gave them, even with the freer-draining medium.

Success with any aspect of orchid growing does depend on your conditions, though, so if you don't know people growing orchids in your area, let us know where you are and what kind of circumstances you have -- humidity, light, air circulation -- and there are probably people on this board who could speak from similar conditions. But definitely don't give up. Everybody sends a few to orchid heaven on the way to figuring them out.
    To answer both of your questions, I don't personally know anyone who takes care of orchids where I am, though I'm sure many do. I'm in Northern California if that helps. I'm not sure how to check all of these conditions for my plant since it's indoors. Thank you guys for everything. It is really discouraging when you keep killing the poor orchids.

Real Name
    drew craft
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

I understand that you shouldn't allow water to sit in the crown. But since I have left my orchids outside under an oak tree orchard they have never done better. When it rains they get in and the water almost certainly sits in the crown. If it evaporates before it can do harm is another matter. As it gets cooler I will be a little more wary of water sitting in the crown.

Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Ellycin, I am in Sonoma county. I still have one phal and it is still outdoors "summering". I make sure that it is watered quite a bit less than most of my others since is in a mix that contains lots of sphag.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    LuAnn
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    haven't got one yet :)
    Member's Country Flag

I am definitely not a "senior" member but had a thought. Maybe you should try buying a phal from an online orchid grower that people trust. I found that the first couple of orchids I bought from big box stores or grocery stores usually weren't the best quality to start with and ultimately died.
    ? Just my .02 coming from a newbie myself