Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So What Happens Now?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

I'm pretty sure the gray balls are just time-release fertilizer. I've seen gray time release fertilizer before. Slime mold would be, well... slimy, not solid like that.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phragmipediums, paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by brit6v View Post
    Thank you, Susie.....we'll be waiting for pictures when you have blooms later. That's always exciting. I agree that your potting job was well done. I'm sorry, but I cannot comment on the small balls, as I've not experienced them before or even read about them. For future reference, though (just in case you happen upon a probably different type of small ball), I have read that some growers (before you obtain the orchid) fertilize with a type of small ball, but yours do not look like them, as far as I have seen pictures of and read about.

Someone else more experienced than I please correct me if I have given Susie incorrect info. I don't want to lead her down the wrong path.

Good growing,
    Vicki (aka brit6v)

By the way, Connie...your info and photos have helped me, as well. Thanks.
    Yes the info from Connie has really helped me out too. I thought that I had got rid of the grey balls after repotting but I knocked the pot over the other day and low and behold there is now another little strange ball in the centre of the mass of roots?? I do not know what it is but it isn't slimey ???

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jose R. Nieves View Post
    Those small balls look like seed to me!!!
    Jose
    They have a rather leathery texture and they haven't broken or done anything unusual yet so I don't know what they are.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Default Update on Bc Teradip 'Junko'

Well it only seems fair that after you showed me yours I show you mine! I have at last -almost a year to the day- finally got a sheath on my Bc Tetradip 'Junko'!! I am so happy, it was an accident I am sure but I am with sheath!!

I am delirious with joy. I have watched so many leads form and then do nothing apart from make another lead and that was it. I had all but given up ever hoping to see the blooms on this beauty or indeed smell the fabulous fragrance that she puts out at night. But low and behold, I had a look down the latest matured lead today and to my utter astonishment there was a bulge inside. I had another look and sure enough there was something taking up space inside the lead. This has been under a daylight bulb for the last two / three weeks getting 16 hours of daylight and 21C / 72F so I am unsure whether that triggered the sudden sheath or if it was down to nature but either way, I am happy that it is doing something exciting. I now have to wait for the buds to form but that is easy compared to waiting for the sheath to arrive.

Thanks for all of your help.

Real Name
    Richard
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya , Dendrobuim, Phalaen
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Susie suggestion to your delemma make sure you have free draining potting mix keep out of pots with no drianing holes , flush at least once a month to remove unwanted salts etc hang out to dry good air circulation or use different pot mix . i have had many plants i wood charcoal only no problems cheers lot depends where you live , climate and sunlight plus other problem plants close by cheers Richard