Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jack the Manx

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    LuAnn
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    haven't got one yet :)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Clivedude View Post
    Wow LuAnn..your cat so beautiful...just look at his coat so fluffy
    Thanks Clive.....he truly is one of the most laid back cats I have ever owned. Thank goodness because I saw him annoyed at the vet one time and it was quite intimidating! Lots of work with all that hair though. Luckily the other cats are all short haired!

Real Name
    Cin
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

I don't know how any of you could guess that I am a cat person. Both Molly Taco and Mikki Mango are Manx kitties and extremely intelligent. I agree that they have more canine traits than feline. Our girls retrieve, sit up and jump through hoops. I wish that I would spend more time working with them as they are both very trainable. Loving bundles of fur, they are our babies.

Real Name
    Martha
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    can't choose
    Member's Country Flag

You've all seen the current mischief maker in the morning thread. This is the late Max the Magnificent. I got him from a shelter when he was about 4 weeks old, 14 oz., no fur on his tummy and a rat tail. He had worms, wasn't eating and wasn't expected to survive. I bottle fed him for a couple of weeks and he soon looked like a kitten who swallowed a tennis ball. Because he was separated from his mother so young and I bottle fed he ended up nursing on my thumb his entire life.

Sadly both he and my husband were diagnosed with cancer in the same week. Max had saliva gland cancer and as the Vet said there was no good outcome with this, a surgery would give us perhaps 3 or 4 months of quality time. We had just received the devastating news of that my husband had stageIV lung cancer so it was double whammy. My husband was determined to keep this cat alive, somehow if Max survived so would he. Alas that was not the case, Mike hit the doc's statistical average livespan right on the nose of 6-9 months. But Max the wondercat, well two rounds of chemo and two more surgical excisions later my little guy lived another 3.5 years to the ripe old age of 18 1/2. He was quite the jester, full of cuteness and the best companion.

Name:  mrmax.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  131.9 KB

Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Member's Country Flag

Jack is adorable! Have an overwhelming urge to rub that furry tummy! The other felines here are cute as well.

One of the more interesting cats my folks had was a Japanese bobtail. She never meowed ... only gave the most unfeline like chirps. Only cat my folks had that would not use a litterbox but rather insisted on going outside to "do her business". Sweet cat that was. Folks lost her to diabetes.

Never owned a cat myself. The complex in which I live charges an extra $50/month on the rent for any cat or dog. Probably just as well since with all my plants I'd have a devil of a time "cat proofing" the place. (Fortunately, the management is ignorant of the critters I do have. I have no doubt they'd have issues with them.)

Real Name
    Cin
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Teena View Post
    You've all seen the current mischief maker in the morning thread. This is the late Max the Magnificent. I got him from a shelter when he was about 4 weeks old, 14 oz., no fur on his tummy and a rat tail. He had worms, wasn't eating and wasn't expected to survive. I bottle fed him for a couple of weeks and he soon looked like a kitten who swallowed a tennis ball. Because he was separated from his mother so young and I bottle fed he ended up nursing on my thumb his entire life.

Sadly both he and my husband were diagnosed with cancer in the same week. Max had saliva gland cancer and as the Vet said there was no good outcome with this, a surgery would give us perhaps 3 or 4 months of quality time. We had just received the devastating news of that my husband had stageIV lung cancer so it was double whammy. My husband was determined to keep this cat alive, somehow if Max survived so would he. Alas that was not the case, Mike hit the doc's statistical average livespan right on the nose of 6-9 months. But Max the wondercat, well two rounds of chemo and two more surgical excisions later my little guy lived another 3.5 years to the ripe old age of 18 1/2. He was quite the jester, full of cuteness and the best companion.

Name:  mrmax.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  131.9 KB
    Your Max was Magnificent and you gave him a good long life. Sorry about your husband, lung cancer took my dad 6 months from the date of diagnosis at the age of 54, Nasty Nasty disease. God bless these little fur balls that only ask for love and a warm spot.

Real Name
    Cathy
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous
    Member's Country Flag

All the photos are so great. Love them all. And thanks for all the comments.
    I've never had a manx. Always have had siamese. When I lost my last old seal boy I was given Jack. I never thought he would be able to compete with the siamese breed. He did! Jack is definitely a horse of a different color. He will not jump up on anything except the bed and the sofa. He doesn't climb. He verbalizes his needs with what is not quite a meow. He is not an outdoor cat. Just one the refuses the litter box. I have never let one of the other cats outside. Jack made that decision, himself.
    I lost my youngest daughter, Tracie to childhood cancer, neuroblastoma. I know how difficult the whole process is. My heart goes out to all the above folks.

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Strange and beautiful, all the strands that knit us together as members. I have only had Siamese and Maine Coons since I was in college, and all of them made me feel like one of those crazy cat ladies - they so often seemed to me to be like humans caught in a cat's body. I give thanks for my orchids every day, because, among other things, they have helped lessen the pain of having to give Big Papi back to his breeding family. Few people in this world have reached adulthood without having lost someone who can never be replaced - but we are fortunate to be given others who help fill that great empty space. And all of us have so much to give! I try to live by the Golden Rule and find that it makes my life a better place to be.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Such beautiful kitties you all have shared. These guys really fill our lives with so much happiness. And it is so true - they know when we feel bad or stressed. I miss my guy so much. A year ago this past Wednesday (Nov. 16), I lost my buddy, Nikko, to intestinal cancer. He was almost 18 and had been with me for just about half my life. I still think I see him from time to time in his favorite spots here in the house. Wishful thinking. I haven't built up the courage to get another cat just yet, but I do love to pet the neighbors cat who comes to my front porch some evenings about the time I get home. Seems like that cat is checking-up on me. hahaha...

Here are a couple of shots of my Nikko.

Name:  nikko_on_bed.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  437.5 KB

Name:  nikko_on_bed_2.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  224.2 KB

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Branka
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Small species...
    Member's Country Flag

Lovely kitties indeed! Mine will be 18 next year, children have been brought her from a shelter. She drinks water only from the tap lately. She calls me every morning to get up and open water...

Real Name
    Cin
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Wonderful Pictures Bruce and Branka, I especially like the one of your kitty drinking out of the tap.