Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: phalaenopsis easy??!!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bill
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Oncidium,and Catts
    Member's Country Flag

This is interesting. While I was in Key West Inoticed many people growing there orchids attached to trees. I saw many lovely specimens but all the phals I saw even though blooming were very small and on the decline. I attributed this to the heat. I did envy the growers the quality of their catts. Saw some real beauties.

Real Name
    Jeff Tucker
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gardenguysorchids View Post
    This is interesting. While I was in Key West Inoticed many people growing there orchids attached to trees. I saw many lovely specimens but all the phals I saw even though blooming were very small and on the decline. I attributed this to the heat. I did envy the growers the quality of their catts. Saw some real beauties.
    Down here in South Florida it's definately cattleya country and maybe even more-so vanda country. But, you're right, phalaenopsis do not like the summer heat in Florida.

Real Name
    Cathy
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous
    Member's Country Flag

I wish I could grow Phals. Jeff you have some great plants. So I would consider you very successful.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleya, cymbidium
    Member's Country Flag

Hi, guys...what I'vew been doing is adding some chopped spagnum moss to my usual bark mix and it helps to retain enough moisture. Without it the mix dries out too fast. I'm growing in aircone pots with a mix of medium fir bark, charcoal, a semi-hydro rock & spongerock.
    I have one in bloom right now and 3 others in spike. we shall see...Remo

Real Name
    Ali
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    the weird ones
    Member's Country Flag

I have a problem getting mine to spike/bloom again once the blooms I bought them with fade. I have several large phals that are all very healthy root and leaf wise but just never push up spikes. I attribute it to lack of temperature drop, but maybe I'm not doing something else I should be doing?
    Best of luck with your phals, I agree they do seem harder to grow!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Glenn
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    n/a
    Member's Country Flag

Hi guys glad I'm not the only one. It seems all the books and websites all claim Phals the easiest orchid the grow. I don't just want my orchids to survive, I want them to thrive

I'm aiming for 12-13 bloom count on massive plants. Ive seen these show stoppers and would love to have mine look like these, since I live in a very humid climate I think its possible

Remo, I like your suggestion and may amend my mix since I have removed all sphagnum moss. I know the large commercial greenhouses do not even water their phals in spag. Overhead misters saturate the atmosphere with the addition of fertilizer. Spiking is initiated in off months by the use of swamp coolers and increased shading, hence flowers every day of the year

Its not practical for me to setup anything like this in my yard!! My garden is part of the aesthetic of my home. Could you imagine what it would look like??!!

In the real world I will grow my phals the natural way and try to achieve specimens

Real Name
    Betty
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

I, too have always found phaleanopsis difficult to grow & bloom. The ones I have now are mounted. ( except for two, which I'm experimenting on ) So far, the mounted ones are doing the best...70% humidity, fairly low light, and watered twice a week. In general, however, although they are pretty, I feel that they are a waste of time/money. This is just MY opinion...Betty

Real Name
    Bill
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Oncidium,and Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Having re-read your post you mentioned that they are in moss and get watered twice a week. That could very well be the problem. They are being over watered. I grow mosy of mt 30 plus phals indoors and 90% of them are in moss. I like the moss in that I have to water less. I believe with phals we tend to baby them too much. The ones in moss get watered once every two weeks year around. I have great root growth and this year almost everyone of them has spiked. I also grow them in my basement which stays at 60 to 70 degres in the winter. Once they start to spike I move them upstairs. If you doubt my methods pick up a cheap one at a big box store and give it a try. I believe you will find that you have success with them. Also be careful that with them outside and being watered twice a week that they are not getting water in the crown.

Real Name
    Glenn
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    n/a
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks Bill, I realized with sphagnum and 2x a week watering was too much. I thought the slat basket being open would improve circulation and drying out, but as I discovered it still retained too much water

Real Name
    Gabriela
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Vanda, Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

My first orchids were 2 Phalaenopsis and I killed one of them, as I was not aware that they do not like to have water in the crown and the first one rotted. But I was determined to save the second one and read about the care. I still have the second one as I was able to keep it alive. I have 8 phalaenopsis.
    Name:  6157669201_84b7bb1f67.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  192.7 KBName:  6905364791_d01ae45c2a.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  95.5 KBName:  6211415553_04f07dd276.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  61.3 KB
    I water them once a week or every 8 days in winter and every 4 days to 5 days in summer. I have re-potted all of them after bloom into bark and I have Spag moos on top of the bark to keep moisture in. I never water the crown , only the roots. Not sure if that helps but I live in Orlando and my Orchids are out 24/7 unless it is below 55F then they go inside. I have no problems with Plals they thrive great and the first orchid I bought was the only one I ever send to orchid heaven. Good luck.