Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: My Orchid Lost Its Roots, HELP!!! =D

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default My Orchid Lost Its Roots, HELP!!! =D

Hey Guys,

Nooby Orchid enthus here, I bought this Orchid for my mom in October of 2010 for her Birthday, and she kinda over-watered it in the Orchid's original plastic pot. I repotted this Orchid in December of 2011 with a moss/bark mixture and orchid growth food.

Name:  Root 1.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  199.1 KB

As you can see form the picture, the Orchid lost all its "big" air roots and what remains is a bunch of soggy little ones.

Name:  Orchid.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  132.6 KB

Amazingly this Orchid actually bloomed over the winter, (Dec 28th, 2011 to Feb 28th, 2012). It had 5 buds and only 3 lived to bloom, the other two near the tip died. I just cut off the flower spike a couple days ago.

Name:  Bag Method.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  130.4 KB

My question is, how would I be able to get the roots to grow back? It's been 2 days since I removed majority of moss/bark and started this bag treatment. Am I doing the right thing? How soon should I be expecting the new, healthy roots to come out? Oh and what orchid is this? I think it's a hybrid but I am not sure.

Thanks for all you replies!

Rio

p.s. Oh and a picture of the leaves =D

Name:  Orchid Leaf.jpg
Views: 1698
Size:  123.8 KB

Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Member's Country Flag

The "sphag n bag" method may be your best bet. You can read about it a bit more here on this thread: http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...sgiving-2.html

IME, however, dens are often reluctant to form new basal roots. If this is the case for yours, it may instead respond by forming keikis along the cane. If that happens, still follow the "sphag n bag" treatment but once a keiki has formed roots a couple of inches long, it can be separated from the mother plant and potted up.

Ya the foots is mostly suspended away from the moss with the help of the bamboo stick and a little dental loss to keep it stable. I guess I should tie off the bag like the suggestion has mentioned... Anything else that I can do? =D

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Rio the hard cane den. they dislike wet media most of the growers I noticed here in Malaysia they prefer to use charcoal/bricks or coconut chips.

Real Name
    Leaf Mite
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    anything fragrant, miniatures
    Member's Country Flag

I agree with keeping them on the dry side. I have my dends in lava rock, net pots. I find that when I repot them, they do best if they are staked so they can't wiggle in the pot.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Oh wow, I was watering once every 10 days since last December and I guess that was still too much. I noticed the moss on the bottom of the pot still soggy in the end of the 10 day cycle. I live the lava rock and charcoal suggestion, since the coconut shells are hard to come by in Seattle. Wouldn't the lava rock chip the roots? And can I use packing peanuts instead of the lava rock or the charcoal? Thanks guys!

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

By live I meant like.. typed too fast haha xD

I wish there is a post edit tool on this forum...

A little update... it's been a month since I used the bag and tag method for my orchid, I have since removed all moss from the pot, changed the orchid pot from the picture above to a closed bottom 8 inch, and left the roots hanging over/barely touching the wet moss underneath. I used a floss/rubber band suspension to keep the plant physically stable in new pot, and I have used a second rubberband to completely seal the bag to the pot.

The orchid has since grown two new buds on the ends of the two lower stem, as well as a pea sized keiki on the base of the plant. I am watering by drenching the orchid in orchid food water once a week, and I think with any luck I might even save it, woot!