Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Orchids: Just...why?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Real Name
    Cassandra
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phals, tolumnia
    Member's Country Flag

This is a great thread! I've only been growing for about a year, so I'm still drawn to the bright colored blooms... Normal progression of things I guess for 'chid growers. I was intimidated by about everything until I started researching and experimenting. Now I'm expanding my grow list.

I think my least fave, which I can never imagine growing are Masdies. They look like bodiless little trolls peeping out.

PS- my husband makes uterine cracks every time he cares to notice my paphs

Real Name
    mojamoja
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, bromeliads & vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sand_tiger86 View Post
    Some may view this as a bit of a negative thread, but I thought I'd get peoples opinions on their most disliked/ugliest orchids and why.

For me, I'd have to go with (to name a few):

Masdevallia - They don't look like orchids. To me, they look like any old annual you could just plunk in the ground. I just have never liked them.

Stanhopea - Flowers from the bottom? Seriously? And blooms that only last 1-2 days? No thank you. Not to mention, the blooms pretty much look like mangled flesh hanging from a stem.

Lycaste - Mostly the same reason as Masdevallia. They're just boring to me.

Bulbophyllum - Eck. I don't even know where to begin on most species here...No. I can't even look at them and think "Man, I really want one of those." Much like James Franco, these just piss me off looking at them for no other reason than me simply not liking them.

Soft cane Dendrobiums get an honorable mention here just for losing their leaves. Don't do that! It's not becoming.

Looking at my list, I definitely notice a trend of me straying away from orchids that aren't the stereotypical, giant, neon, glittery types. haha

Y'all go!
    Mabuhay!

Honestly, I love orchids, the weirder it gets the better. The fluffy it gets the better, the bigger it gets the better, the smallest it gets the better, the more heat tolerant it gets...much much better. Actually, i'm really planning to buy a space somewhere where it can get cold so i'd be able to rear orchids that thrives in a cold environment.

Maybe the only orchid that it would take time for me to accept or at least force myself to buying it are those that are variegated (unless it occurred naturally). I just don't believe in those miniature orchids unless it occurred naturally. Or maybe i just don't have an answer to your question. hehehehheee.

Godbless

Real Name
    Cody
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Brassavola, Angraecum
    Member's Country Flag

personally i'm not a fan of super hybridized orchids that lose any resemblance to the species they came from ... they all start looking similar at some point.

Real Name
    Kelly
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandas and Catts

See, I'm a big hybrid fan. The species flowers look incredibly dull, smallish (not to mention the plants are extremely large) and not as eye-grabbing as certain hybrids. They're also more difficult to cultivate. I've been growing orchids for over 5 years now, and my attitude has remained the same. Humans have intervened and created something superior as far as I'm concerned.

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda

hmmm, i never noticed actually, but that may be why no cattleya ever really caught my eye, nothing there to interest me really. i laways thought it was because the majority are pink... i avoid pink orchids like they're toxic, and only have a few bought by accident out of flower. anyway, i am also sick to death of large perfect pure white phals. it's like someone took the perfect orchid and sucked all the color out. i compare it to the possible invention of flavorless chocolate or decaf coffee, what's the point? i know ochidists have spent a century attmepting to perfect the white phal, but you know what would do it? spray paint the darn thing red. there's your perfect white phal. and i have to admit the masdevallias and pleurothalids have never appealed to me. they just don't look like orchids. i'd rather grow petunias.

Real Name
    Kelly
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandas and Catts

Quote Originally Posted by coeruleo View Post
    hmmm, i never noticed actually, but that may be why no cattleya ever really caught my eye, nothing there to interest me really. i laways thought it was because the majority are pink... i avoid pink orchids like they're toxic, and only have a few bought by accident out of flower. anyway, i am also sick to death of large perfect pure white phals. it's like someone took the perfect orchid and sucked all the color out. i compare it to the possible invention of flavorless chocolate or decaf coffee, what's the point? i know ochidists have spent a century attmepting to perfect the white phal, but you know what would do it? spray paint the darn thing red. there's your perfect white phal. and i have to admit the masdevallias and pleurothalids have never appealed to me. they just don't look like orchids. i'd rather grow petunias.
    On the Cattleya front, that's why I much prefer hybrids. They come in Yellows, oranges, reds, fuchsia, and combinations of all of the above on one flower. The species do tend to be lavender or white more often than not. The shape is usually more spindly and less appealing to me as well.

I also fully agree on white Phals. They've never appealed to me...they're just mass produced for weddings.

Real Name
    Ali
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    the weird ones
    Member's Country Flag

I find most white phals boring, but I do have one that's really gorgeous with a deep raspberry and green lip (center?). It is the most unusual "big box" phal I've seen. Maybe I'm partial to it because it was a gift.

I too stay away from the lighter pinks/pastel colors, bleh. haha

Real Name
    Tamara
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The ones that are alive
    Member's Country Flag

I'm allergic to pink, so that eliminate one group of species I guess. The local species are yellow based colours that I've seen or some mix of white, I'm with Coeruleo, although white orchids are nice for a reason, I dislike them, (may have something to do with not being a 'white' fan either) The lord made em in colours for a reason, why suck the life from it just to appease one specific market. White weddings are so old fashion, I'd love me a red or blue, maybe even black wedding.

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda

lately i've been seeing those enormous white phals that have been artifically dyed blue, and now even a dark purple. gives me the willies when i see them knowling that next time they will flower purew white. what a cruel trick.

Real Name
    Kelly
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandas and Catts

Quote Originally Posted by coeruleo View Post
    lately i've been seeing those enormous white phals that have been artifically dyed blue, and now even a dark purple. gives me the willies when i see them knowling that next time they will flower purew white. what a cruel trick.
    I love how the name even says "Phal 'Mystique Blue'"

Not anymore, when it goes back to white! Idiots.