Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Orchids: Just...why?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Kelly
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandas and Catts

Default Orchids: Just...why?

Some may view this as a bit of a negative thread, but I thought I'd get peoples opinions on their most disliked/ugliest orchids and why.

For me, I'd have to go with (to name a few):

Masdevallia - They don't look like orchids. To me, they look like any old annual you could just plunk in the ground. I just have never liked them.

Stanhopea - Flowers from the bottom? Seriously? And blooms that only last 1-2 days? No thank you. Not to mention, the blooms pretty much look like mangled flesh hanging from a stem.

Lycaste - Mostly the same reason as Masdevallia. They're just boring to me.

Bulbophyllum - Eck. I don't even know where to begin on most species here...No. I can't even look at them and think "Man, I really want one of those." Much like James Franco, these just piss me off looking at them for no other reason than me simply not liking them.

Soft cane Dendrobiums get an honorable mention here just for losing their leaves. Don't do that! It's not becoming.

Looking at my list, I definitely notice a trend of me straying away from orchids that aren't the stereotypical, giant, neon, glittery types. haha

Y'all go!

Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

It's all a matter of personal taste. I ADORE stanhopeas and bulbophyllum! When I first started out with orchids, I was only interested in the "decorative" types. Now, I just love all of them! Well, maybe not the pansy orchids. I think the lure of them became more focused on my ability to grow as opposed to their ability to decorate.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Bill
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Oncidium,and Catts
    Member's Country Flag

I am pretty much with Jason on this one. I appreciate all orchids. Some I may not grow because of cultural conditions or because the flowers are so small and fleeting in their bloom time but I still am drawn to them and admire the people who grow them successfully. It is hard for me not to see beauty in all flowers but that is most likely the designer in me. I know if I had the space or a greenhouse I would try growing them all. This is a great idea for a thread and I look forward to reading others comments. The only orchids I detest are those that are dyed wether they be plants or cut flowers for the floral industry. Even with all the weddings I do flowers for if the bride wants a flower in an color that is not natural I don't do the wedding.

Real Name
    Gabriela
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Vanda, Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

I think it is with orchids as it is with wine. The people go first with the white Zinfandel to start with and to play it safe and as they get more and more used to different wines and to the different varieties like Chardonnay, Merlot, Pinot Noir or finally Cabernet Sauvignon which has more tanins and is less aproachable, they appreciate the different varieties and the different characteristics. I do not want to say by any means that anybody is in- experienced, no not at all, but we have to be open to different opinions and different tastes. That does not mean that one has to change their opinion but be more open to others and try to understand their stand point.

Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

I love the wine reference...I suppose us bulbo fans are drawn to a reverse viognier! My favorite white, btw.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Tamara
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The ones that are alive
    Member's Country Flag

I'm not that experienced with the varieties of orchids as yet, all the alliances, hybrids, species, etc. As with each I come in contact with I know that I will find some of the blooms, leaves, pblubs unappealing, then in due time I may change my mind. But for now I will lump all the ones that has anything resembling any area of the human pelvic region as off my wish list!

Real Name
    Miller
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Onc, Dens, Catt's, Schoms
    Member's Country Flag

@Dazed,I love your response!

Real Name
    Kelly
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandas and Catts

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
    I'm not that experienced with the varieties of orchids as yet, all the alliances, hybrids, species, etc. As with each I come in contact with I know that I will find some of the blooms, leaves, pblubs unappealing, then in due time I may change my mind. But for now I will lump all the ones that has anything resembling any area of the human pelvic region as off my wish list!
    Bye bye Cattleyas!

Real Name
    Tamara
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The ones that are alive
    Member's Country Flag

Cattleyas!? AHHHH...hang on a sec, should have said human male pelvic region.

Real Name
    Kelly
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandas and Catts

I remember I once showed a friend one of my Cattleyas and the very first thing he said, not "it's beautiful" "wow" "amazing", but "Dude, it looks like a vagina."

Typical straight guy. -_-

I then proceeded to tell him that it was a BOY Cattleya. All of my orchids are boys.