Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounted Dendrobium

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/Cattleya species
    Member's Country Flag

Default Mounted Dendrobium

Hi,
    I have an mounted dendrobium on a piece of wood called a coconut fiber log, or something. It's hanging in midair, near a bright window. I'm just wondering, since I'm an orchid newbie and don't know anything about mounted orchids, how often should I water it? It has lots of roots, clinging to the wood, wandering around, etc., so should I mist them everyday? Any tips are appreciated. THANKS.

I don't grow my orchids mounted but I would think the mounted plants would dry out faster, so more watering needed, I guess.

I don't grow them either, but from everything I've read, I think they generally are watered frequently, since there is no bark/medium to hold onto the water. Even misting may not be enough, but again, I'd hold out an answer for someone who grows mounted plants.

Good luck!

I'm actually taking my mounted down and putting it back into a pot. In the summer the orchid should be submerged in water for 20 minutes every other day. Misted either every day or twice a day. I can't give mine that much attention, so in a pot it goes. Post a picture I would like to see one that is mounted on one of those.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

I don't have any mounted orchids, nor do I intend to, so I am really out of my element. But I do know that they are intended for places with high humidity, which usually but is not always a greenhouse. (As are all vandas, but nobody told me that...)

I have a Den. pierdarrii and a Den. (Dockrillia) wassellii both of which are mounted on cork with a bit of green sheet moss. They, along with my other mounts (Brassavolas and Bulbos mostly), are grown outside and watered daily.

Máire

I have some Den. anosmum and Den. pierardii mounted on hapuu (tree fern) chunks outdoors in partial shade. I think the hapuu is similar to coconut because both are fibrous and soak up water. I try to water them every other day. They are doing just so-so. Maybe watering more often would be better, but I’m lazy. So in your conditions, misting daily would seem to be about right, and I would suggest misting the coconut so that it’s soaked. I also have other plants of the same varieties (these are cane type Dendrobiums) in pots, and they do much better. The ones I’ve seen at orchid shows are inevitably in pots. Some of these have multiple canes 4 feet long with flowers along the entire length (unfortunately, not mine, though).

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/Cattleya species
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks,
    I guess I should have been more specific...but...anyway, I asked the question because the dendrobium has slightly wrinkled pseudobulb stalks (with a total of 4). At least two leaves have been yellowed, dried up, and fallen off on each of the 4 stalks (in less than two months). Now, one more big leaf is yellowing.

I guess that's because the mount has been kept too dry (I watered once a week). Now, by reading your advice, I give a nice soak once a week, but mist the roots almost daily. However, the leaves continue to yellow.

The mount was originally fitted in a clay pot, but I took it out to increase ventilation. It's mounted on a round coconut husk (3 1/2 inches in diameter and 2 inches in height).

Anyway, I am worried about the yellowing of the leaves...I know that dends lose leaves when dormant, but it's summer here and isn't this a growing season? Help! And any suggestion?

I can post a picture if necessary.

Thanks!

I've got a similar issue. A dend, though potted, with leaves yellowing and dying. Two have spots. I think its doomed so it is outside. Its been isolated though, and worsening for about 2 months. Anyway I've also wondered, is the yellowing normal or not? (it *is* mostly older leaves.)

It was a TJ double plant in pot purchase so no biggie if it goes, but it will be my first death

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Leaves yellowing and canes dying on Dendrobiums is very common and normal, and often signifies the onset of either new growth or spikes on the newer canes. As long as it's not all the canes and leaves, just the older ones that are drying up, everything's fine!