Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Plant viruses heavy reading

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Default Plant viruses heavy reading

A friend and I were talking today about viruses encapsulated and non encapsulated regarding birds , I started wondering about it in plants . here is a link to a ( heavy reading ) the article about TMV is interesting . Gin

http://www.clt.astate.edu/dgilmore/V...nt_viruses.htm

Wow great link! I am quite shocked by this passage.
    MANAGEMENT

Milk inactivates many viruses - use milk to wash tools/hands. "Milk does a plant body good!" Soap and water work well too!
    Removing diseased plants, killing and removing potential virus vectors (primarily weeds and insects).
    disease-resistant cultivars.
    disease or virus free seed, roots or tubers.
    cross protection (inoculation with a less-virulent strain of a virus protects the plant from a more virulent strain later when exposed to it).
    heat (some viruses are killed at temperatures that will not kill host). For example, dormant propagative organs dipped in hot water (35 C) for few minutes or hours, or by growing plants in greenhouse at 35-40 C for several days, weeks or months may inactivate virus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

I don't believe that at all , sounds to good to be true lol . gin

Quote Originally Posted by Gin
    I don't believe that at all , sounds to good to be true lol . gin
    lol Hey your link. It does seam a bit ridiculous. If true we are all practicing a nice brand of "over-kill" hygiene wise.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Gin, awesome link.

I thought this part was interesting, about how long the virus can stay dormant, and what transmits it. Sue and I had some discussions about this last year (where is Sue anyway? Anyone seen him around?):
    * difficult to inactivate, and can survive for 5 years in dead, dried tissues and many months in living plant tissues.
    * many strains, that vary in virulence from severe to mild symptoms. virus is spread from plant to plant through injuries caused by crop worker, contaminated equipment and chewing insects.
    * virus overwinters in dead plant tissues and debris, on contaminated equipment, in contaminated soil, greenhouse containers, bedding, tools, and in living hosts, including weeds like horsenettle, Solanum carolinense, and other crop plants (tomato, pepper, and eggplant).
    This part about using milk says that it seems to help reduce spreading, doesn't say that it cures infected plants:
    Management of Tobacco Mosaic Disease

* use virus-free seed (tomato seed can by treated with acid or bleach)
    * transplant in noninfested soil
    * fumigatation with methyl bromide or heated.
    * no chewing of tobacco or smoking around seedbeds or in greenhouses.
    * to eliminate spreading of virus wash hand with soap and water or milk.
    * spraying plants with milk (whole or skim) seems to help reduce
    So, just personally, I don't think we're going overboard by taking the precautions we normally do. Growers who typically have problems with this "grow dirty;" I've been to nurseries like that--all kinds of junk everywhere, dead leaves and flowers on the benches, on the floor, in corners, plants all falling over and piled on each other, looking like hell--nasty stuff. Those places even look like insect and disease traps, so it's really no surprise when the plants that come out of them have caught something or other.... Lot of work keeping a greenhouse clean, but I think it's totally worth it.

An excellent read, Gin! I have to ask you, though....does your head ever feel like it's going to burst with all that knowledge trapped inside??? hehe
    Viruses scare me.

Now I'm more curious than ever about why my Onc. Sweet Sugar's leaves are kinda crispy and curling under....maybe I should give it some milk?

Maggie

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Make mine half and half lolol. I wonder if they were referring to acids in milk that would inactivate certain types of viruses ?
    On another note I had a Mokara that had a bacterial rot , Was going to throw it out instead injected it with an antibiotic 3 times , it stopped the rot , not supposed to work on plants . Might of been just luck ?
    Bugs marinated Oncid. leaves deep fried mmmmm good . Gin