I have only recently had success with maintaining the health of orchids (ie: I've over-watered several of my pore victims in the past). I've got one store bought orchid which continues to produce new leaves (yeah). Here is my problem -- I purchased a baby orchid from someone at an orchid conference, or whatever, a few months ago. It was doing well I was watering it according to the instructions from the person I bought it from-- 2 times a week. I never over watered it, I let the plant drain before putting it back... This is what happened.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  164.3 KB

The dark spot is getting closer and closer to the end of the last leaf. I am afraid it is dead and there is nothing I can do. The main body has shriveled up like a raisin. I am assuming there is no way I can cut the top of the green leaf and keep it watered to promote root growth (like you can do with basil) and create a new plant. If this is possible, tell me how! If there is no hope, what did I do to it? I want to ensure I do not kill another orchid like that.