Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Collection list as promissed:) Am I doing things right?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Laura
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Love them all
    Member's Country Flag

Smile Collection list as promissed:) Am I doing things right?

Hello everyone!
    Here's a list of what I bought myself in the last month and their status. As I said in my introduction thread, got them after an exhibition. I had already a bunch that I'm not going to mention again here.
    1 month ago:
    Vanda NOID, dark blue. Middle sized flowers at purchase, they got about 2 cm bigger since she moved. 1 month with me, was completely open then, no wilting yet.
    BLC Chueng yeah, I suppose it's called "good life". In bloom then, got 2 more flowers in some empty sheets since, last one wilting now.
    Masdevallia hybrid, orange on white. Flowers still up.
    Phrag Living fire, been told it was an older plant, had 1 bud that fell in the middle of the opening -me clueless why.
    Paph NOID, probably Tonsum hybrid. Bad compost as I discovered 5 days ago, lot of root damage by then but the babies she had at purchase are growing, about 2 cm since.
    Miltonia hybrid, candida x honolulu,1 bloom, lots of buds. Lost only one bud because of underwatering (respected what I was told at the shop for about 4 days ), then followed my instincts. Full of flowers now

3 weeks ago:
    Phrag Mem Garren Weaver. Almost in bloom, 2 buds. 2 flowers now, has a 3rd bud and looks like I have a 4th growing.
    Phrag Mem Dick Clements hybrid. Small, 1 flower. Yesterday I saw new growth when the flower fell, looks like i'll have spike

2 weeks ago (half price):
    Red vanda, probably Ascocenda Crownfox red delicious. Looked like it might spike/grow a root, I have a spike ca 3 cm now
    Phrag sedenii, 2 blooms, now has 3 new buds
    Lycaste lassioglosa, 3 flowers, now she has 2 new ones and lost 1 flower due to age, 2 buds wilted, probably due to overwatering in the shop (she was in the phrag section)
    Masdevallia, probably australiensis(?) hybrid, in bad shape, looks healthy now.
    Dracula vespertillis, looked rather dreadfull, this morning looked more perky.
    Sigmatostalix radicans, looks healthy.
    Catt. mahalo jack. Bad water damage, the blooms were burned by overwatering, the leaves were white with water stains. Will need help with that one, pics during the weekend, I worked for 19 hours straight yesterday and i'm half dead now.

1 week ago, got everything for about 9-10$ a piece. Bad shape, either over or underwatered, all looking better today.
    Dendrobium Farmeri "pink", in bloom.
    Dendrobium Denudans, in bloom.
    Coel fimbriata, bad roots, chopped rizome, 2 disconnected pseudobulbs, 1 spike rather yellow. Changed her right away, sponge bits and bark mix originally. Today when I checked her: looks like i'll get a flower after all!
    Liparis latifolia, tiny spike, looks like she's growing. Can't wait for the flowers!
    3 Draculas: lemurella, psittacina, sibundoyensis. They looked bad, perkier now, I think I saw some new leaf growth. I saw the flowers on line, hope they'll give me some in due time, not their blooming season yet i think.
    Phrag longifolium and a besseae. No idea about age, sold as young plants I presume.
    BC yellow bird. Had 2 buds , rather brown and dry. Pink since 2-3 days ago, looks like i'll have flowers after all!
    Another phrag sedenii, couldn't resist. Had a tiny bud. It's opening today and it's a miracle of scent and beauty.
    Gongora. NOID. Looks healthy, i changed her to a basket. Had 2 dried flower spikes, I guess it will take some time until I see flowers and can id her.

And because I went 2 the shop on monday to get more orchid mix, I got myself a Phal Green Pixie, a Linda Cheung and a dpts Kenneth something for good measure that i hid with my old phals coz my poor husband would have died if he saw that i got more

What do you think, do I need professional help? My friend thinks so!

Cheers!

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

Way to go Laura - when you have the time, resources and an understanding husband.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Julie
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights

If it's blooming and/or growing, you're doing it right. That's all that matters.

Professional help? TOO LATE! Buy a greenhouse instead, if you don't already have one. Turn semi-pro if you do!

I like simple solutions.

Real Name
    Laura
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Love them all
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks everyone!

I barely have time, I wake up one hour earlier and ... start mistmaker and red light, shower the lot of them, dump one vanda in the bucket, do morning ablutions, change vanda, dress upp, hang vandas back, go to work. Then work and fret coz i can't check the temperatures in the window. People start avoiding me because they are forced to be polite and look at pics of some bud opening, not mentioning getting updates against their will.

As for the turning semi pro, I hope I'll manage to achieve that when I retire...only 23 years left! Who knows, maybe a shelter? Because that is what gives me the biggest amount of satisfaction - getting them healthy again. Making them bloom again.

Because there is nothing in the world like the feeling you get one morning when you take care of your plants and you see a new growth of any kind. The nailbiting elation of waiting for the first flower to open on a plant that was almost dead when you got it.

And I do have to say that I am suddenly rather poor this month and I didn't buy myself a single hat! I wonder how I managed

The husband is great, but sometime I do think he secretely hopes they'll die because they looked so dreadfull when we got them but also appreciates their beauty. They make perfect subjects for photography and he'll have a hard time ignoring them. He did buy me a phone with a better camera so that I can have them with me (I hate new touchscreen phones, I like old style, so he found me a compromise one). And he took some pictures himself without me nagging soooooo...

But I'm digressing. So i'll go have a chat with my girls, check on their status and write their diary.

Have a great one!
    Laura