Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miltonia candida x Honolulu "304"

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Laura
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Love them all
    Member's Country Flag

Red face Miltonia candida x Honolulu "304"

Hello everyone!

Here's a couple of pics of my lovely Miltonia hybrid, the flowers have been up for over a month now, she is a bit scented I think (slight smell of good quality face powder). Can't be sure unfortunatelly, I have virtually no sense of smell because of my bleedin' cold
    Name:  Miltonia all res.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  124.4 KBName:  Milly bloom res.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  153.3 KB

Cheers!

Laura

Real Name
    ed
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda,

very nice pastel with freckles

Real Name
    Laura
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Love them all
    Member's Country Flag

Thank you! When the flower openes the freckles are more beige, contrasting nicely with the purple. Now that you mention, I wonder if the flowers are paler now because of age or because of ... aaaaa... (hides and goes check her orchid diary)...blast. It looks like I fed her focus grow instead of focus bloom. Smart. She is quite special anyway, and a whole bush of it.

Real Name
    Bill
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Oncidium,and Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Lovely blooms. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Lovely Miltonia orchid blooms.

cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

Very good display! Love the both of them.

Real Name
    Laura
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Love them all
    Member's Country Flag

Thank you all!

By the way, do you think she should be changed when she finishes blooming?

Cheers!

Laura

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

NIce. We dont see many of the true Miltonias nowadays . There used tobe Warnes Best - similar to this but without the watermark patterning, and others - I suppose that is because they are mostly Pacific area bred, and there seems to be an iron curtain between there and Europe, as far as orchids are concerned , but perhaps there is a window in the curtain where Sweden is ?.

Real Name
    Laura
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Love them all
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    NIce. We dont see many of the true Miltonias nowadays . There used tobe Warnes Best - similar to this but without the watermark patterning, and others - I suppose that is because they are mostly Pacific area bred, and there seems to be an iron curtain between there and Europe, as far as orchids are concerned , but perhaps there is a window in the curtain where Sweden is ?.
    Yeah, I noticed that!

I lurked around for years and stared at orchids/orchid forums on the internet, but the only pleasant ones proved to be american, and this one is my favourite. Miltonias have always been an issue when one wanted to find good care advice, it's like they do not exist!Miltonopsis and pansies yes, but the one that does not sound like a hybrid shienes by its absence for the most of it.

As for Sweden...Except for Phalenopsis, some common oncidiums and the occasional cymbidium/dendrobium, NOIDS as a rule, it is normally a desert here. Unless you shop on line for vandas I suppose. But I wouldn't buy a mature vanda on line for the life of me, just looking at the gorgeous rootsystem of my (supposedly, I did the id) crownfox red delight sends shivers down my spine, what would happen to THAT in the mail! I owe both my D.nobile and a bunch of others to the tranporters that ruined them and made them unsaleable!

I got silly lucky with the orchid exhibition and the long sale thereafter. I rather enjoy names. I am quite anal when it comes to certain things, and orchids take the olive (from me bleedin' martini).

All the named orchids come from a professional orchid grower in Germany. They seem to be so exclusive that I didn't even manage to get much from their homepage. My only annoyance with them is that the paph and some of the terestriasl had big bits of kitchen grade sponge mixed in the soil, wich really skrewed the roots. There where several other huge bushes of what I would call "clean" Miltonia hybrids, but I was out of room. This was the one and only and of course I had to get it. As far as I noticed, there isn't a problem in getting stuff from the german growers inside Europe. Why are we going along with the @#¤%& EU otherwise?

As far as I noticed in my research in the last month, there is a group or orchidlovers in the southern part of Sweden that does group orders in Germany now and again, ergo a hole in the courtain

Right now, with 6 (or 8? or was it around 10) new ones on the way, room shall be a serious issue for me. I was already forced to halve one of my sedeniis because of size and unruly growth, despite the huge blooming spike. Thank #¤% for having surgical instruments in the house and the patience of a gargoyle, that is all I can say! 2 days and no bud blast, flowers as lovely as ever, I should send it home on postop diet and rest.

Good grief I digress!

Have a great one Geoff!

P.s.: btw, I really liked your article on s/h, I meant to tell you that for a while

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Laura, you have to get to one (or more ! ) of the big european shows - that is best legal way of getting a good choice of the latest and best , and if you get the list of vendors in advance, and e-mail them with wants, you can often get what you want taken to the show for you. And of course if it is EU, there is no nonsense about permits etc. The next one I definitely have a pass-out to attend , although in fact my better-half will accompany me - God willing ( a necessary caveat since our combined ages will add up to 167 years then ! ) is the Vienna EOC (check it out ) but I am hoping to get to one of the bigger German shows sooner, i.e. next year.Its a question of which one, and fitting it in with other plans. Dresden is usually good, several times a year, but not the easiest place to get to non- stop from my local airport, but I am sure there are others easier.It does need advance planning ! I worked it out for one near Stuttgart for this year, taxi to my nearest hub (southampton) cheapie flight to Stuttgart, taxi - 20 km to the show , I reckoned it would cost less than a first class train ticket to London ... But I had some eye problems and was in hospital when I might have been looking at orchids. Still better that than not being able to see the orchids at all I guess.