Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Calcium supplement hilarity

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Magnus
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    There are to many...
    Member's Country Flag

I missed this continuation...sorry

Good that you changed Calcium source!
    100% calcium carbonate is VERY basic.
    It is not the same thing as Classroom chalk that is mostly gypsum (Calcium sulfate).

Just the chemist in me could not resist to comment ;-)

Real Name
    Michael Saar
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum
    Member's Country Flag

If you haven't figured it out yet, oyster shell is available from your nearest farm store.

Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Whatever's in bloom today!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Saar View Post
    If you haven't figured it out yet, oyster shell is available from your nearest farm store.
    Ahhh...farm store, eh? Okay...looks like I'll be foregoing the pet store next time I need oyster shells and just heading to my local farm store. But I have a feeling I'm not going to be needing more oyster shells for QUITE a while...the baggie I have for birdies is still packed rather full of the crunchy powder!

Ah well, it's nice to learn I have other options! Hehee!

I use a horticultural lime product, a mixture of Ca and Mg , phos. etc. and some other minor elements (purchased commercially) once or twice a year as dusting in Paphs pots, especially those that grow on limestone. I also have been experimenting with the pelletanized garden form that is timed release and easier to work with than the dust.

There is still great debate on the value of egg shells, but ground oyster shell has some merit apparently. There is still debate on their bioavailability and breakdown of the ions.

The only Phrags I know of that likes supp. Ca is Kovachii since it grows in limestone areas. Most other Phrags like acid conditions.

Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Whatever's in bloom today!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostjeff View Post
    I use a horticultural lime product, a mixture of Ca and Mg , phos. etc. and some other minor elements (purchased commercially) once or twice a year as dusting in Paphs pots, especially those that grow on limestone. I also have been experimenting with the pelletanized garden form that is timed release and easier to work with than the dust.

There is still great debate on the value of egg shells, but ground oyster shell has some merit apparently. There is still debate on their bioavailability and breakdown of the ions.

The only Phrags I know of that likes supp. Ca is Kovachii since it grows in limestone areas. Most other Phrags like acid conditions.
    Wow...I'm not quite that advanced yet with all the horticultural products...and I've only been using the calcium on that Den Green Lantern and some of my paphs (with seemingly good results). I haven't tried it on any phrags yet, because until a few days ago I didn't yet have any phrags to try it on!

But in happy news, I just acquired my very first one! After much searching, I have finally managed to get my hands on a Phrag schlimii, and it's in bud, too!!

I won't be dumping any calcium on the schlimii, since everything I've read about phrags says they pretty much want to be left alone...they don't like anything in their water, they don't much care for fertilizer, etc...but they like to stay fairly wet. So I've been watering the schlimii with bottled spring water, and it seems to like it so far, even though it's only been a few days so it's hard to know for sure. Ideally I'd like to have a RO system in my house so I don't have to worry about any of this "water ph" stuff, but I think that's a pipe dream that may not every become a reality. (Get it? "Pipe" dream? Water pipes? Okay, I know, bad joke...)

But if I ever get my hands on the very rare and much coveted kovachii, I will give it some oyster shells...thanks for the tip! I didn't bother putting the kovachii on my wish list because I thought it would be pretty much impossible to ever get one, but if anyone knows of any sources for them, please, please tell me where I can (legally) acquire one! A bit off topic, I know...but I'm sure there's some other orchid-a-holics out there who are salivating over the prospect of owning a kovachii!

Perhaps we should start a new thread in praise of the kovachii..."My love is like a huge, purple phrag..."