Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: 2 Phal problems, a brown patch on one and soft green leaves on the other.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default 2 Phal problems, a brown patch on one and soft green leaves on the other.

Hi all,

Following on from my last 2 threads, 1 of my mothers 2 orchids is doing very well after being re-potted. The other was doing ok, but now some areas on the leaves seem to be getting soft?

Here is the picture:

Name:  (Copy)IMG_5554.JPG
Views: 1965
Size:  354.5 KB

Name:  (Copy)IMG_5556.JPG
Views: 4799
Size:  176.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The 2nd problem is with a new orchid, I thought I'd buy a small plant from online to and see how it goes (I really liked what it will look like when flowering). It has had this since it came, but seems to have gotten a little worse. Seems to be a small brown area just on one of the leaves. I did think it was sunburn, but now I'm not so sure?

Here are the pictures:

(Seems they went above and not where I thought the images would go O.o)

I thought better to ask the questions, than risk regretting it later on, sorry if there simple questions.

Thanks for reading

Potty.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/Cattleya species
    Member's Country Flag

I've had the exact thing happen to one of my phals that I grew from a compot. It took 5 years to reach blooming size, and when it did, the leaves suddenly became like this, which looks similar to your 2nd plant.

It turned out to be a fungal issue, so I sprayed with fungicide, cut out the affected areas, and the plant was fine.

Well the 1st plant's leaves look really dehydrated. It's either overwatered or under watered. This happens because the roots can't absorb enough water to plump up the leaves.

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Potty I agreed with orchidaddict789 your first plant is severely dehydrated please give adequately misting of water and put under at least 60 to 70% shade to prevent further dehydration, your second plant just remove the lesion just leaving the healthy tissue only.

Thanks both for the reply.

The first plant did look a lot more dehydrated before it was re-potted (It's my mothers):

The top leaf seemed to pick up a fair bit, but then seemed to have shrivelled a bit and gone a bit soft (2nd pic, maybe I have been over-misting it?). The other leaves still seem to be doing better than before.

When I cut the 2nd plant, should I in effect cut a hole through the leaf or cut the end off please?

Thanks again.

Real Name
    Joe
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Den. phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

Hi, for those with a phal with the wrinkled leaves, I would check to see if you still have healthy roots in the potting medium. Sometimes, if the phal was over watered or if the potting medium has rotted, the roots will have drowned and may be dead.

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phals

Potty, from the yellow shading on the top of the leaf, I'm wondering if the underside shows fungal rings too? Turn it over and inspect, and if it does, I'd cut off the whole leaf. If the leaf only has that lesion on top, then I'd cut a half-circle out of the side of the leaf. I have a phal with the same infection, but on too many leaves to cut it out. I dusted it with cinnamon. It looks bad, but it has since put out 2 flower spikes, so we'll see...

Testing (I have just wrote another reply but it wont let me send it, so testing with different text)

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Sorry for the delay in replying and thanks again for the advice.

The first orchid I could not see any signs of fungus, so I left it to see what happens, it's doing well and has new roots etc (It's now gone back to mother!).

The second I thought may have been burnt as it was not at all mushy, so I thought I'd wait and see if it grows, it has remained exactly the same and now has new roots/leaves and a spike! (This one came from online as a small plant out of flower, so I've never seen it bloom) Can't wait to see what the flowers are like as it's a Phalaenopsis equestris "Fairy Tail".

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

We are not allowed to use the term e b a y then I assume?