Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glow in the dark Orchids?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

AFAIK, the Engineer/Genetecist was located in one of the Koreas. I think they did the same thing with the glowing fish-put the luciferase gene in them and they glowed. Of course, since they were genetically modified, many states moved rather swiftly to ban their sale.

We'll never see these flowers, I don't think. The good Dr. was really just doing it to make a quick, big buck, and I don't know if anyone ever bit.

Sam

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mystacidium
    Member's Country Flag

The plant looksmore like a bifoilate catt. Not Den biggibum or Den. phal or whatever that flower came from...

Can I help you smuggle? These look sooooo cool!!!
    I want to post this news on another orchid forum, hope thats ok with you BD?
    I'll post it in my own words though.
    Thanks for posting.

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals & Masdies

i agree!! who wants to volunteer for a smuggling mission
    this is tooooo cool...
    ...now if only they would do this to a phal

...if you are looking for an alternative for glow-in-the-dark orchids, why don't we see if we can get some Radium-226 and paint it on the flowers (and the plant!)... it's an alpha particle emmiter, so it shouldn't be dangerous, unless you injest it...

-Pat

Just a few of thoughts about this experiment.
    1) This experiment took place at about the same time as the fish anti-freeze gene in the tomato plant manipulation for a frost proof tomato. Geneticists were looking at lots of animal to plant splices. It might be that a bioluminescent trait would easily demonstrate if the gene was taken up in all plant structures or just to roots, leaves, stems, blooms or fruit. In a fire fly only the tail glows.

2) I consider these type of splices particularly problematic if they get out of containment. With the introduction of insect/animal genes plant pathogens may jump species or become viable in new vectors. It would be a true drag if honey bees could be infected with terminal tobacco mosaic virus, or if insects could transmit cymbidium mosaic virus. In other words, it's a good thing these plants are not available to the general public.

Real Name
    Mohsen Arooni
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Thats awesome... Simply...

Real Name
    Denise
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal, Vanda, Oncidium, Dendi
    Member's Country Flag

wow... what's next? a glowing LAWN????

Actually, I bet that thing is pretty bright. I once had a wild experience with the glowing fungus that can infest a woodpile. I had brought in some wood to let it dry indoors after my woodpile got soaked back when I had a rural place.

I had houseguests and so took the couch for the night. Being a very rural cabin, the night was truly dark and I always slept soundly in the pitch-dark.

I woke about 3 am and noticed a green glow in the room. I thought I was half-dreaming and quietly waited for the dream to act itself out, but there was no dream, just this glow. I came fully awake and the glow was still there. I could see the ceiling, an eeerie green light filed the room. I slowly sat up, and saw the room as it was, all faintly discernible in this definitely green light. I began to feel fear rise slowly up, and every hair on my body was stiff as I followed the brightness to the source:

One half-sawn log on the pile was lit up like neon in Las Vegas.

Real Name
    David Astley
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandas and Cattleyas
    Member's Country Flag

Default Corrections to statements about Dr Chia and his glow-in-the-dark orchid

Quote Originally Posted by SaMRoza View Post
    I think the scientist was selling the rights to this for a few mil a couple years ago. These would be banned from sale in the US, just as the glowing fish were.

Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by SaMRoza View Post
    AFAIK, the Engineer/Genetecist was located in one of the Koreas. I think they did the same thing with the glowing fish-put the luciferase gene in them and they glowed. Of course, since they were genetically modified, many states moved rather swiftly to ban their sale.

We'll never see these flowers, I don't think. The good Dr. was really just doing it to make a quick, big buck, and I don't know if anyone ever bit.

Sam
    If I may please correct a couple of statements in this discussion: The scientist did not “sell the rights for a few million” and “the good doctor” did not do it “to make a quick, big buck”. He did it only as an experiment and made no money from it.

Real Name
    Jonada
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph Chiu Hua Dancer
    Member's Country Flag

So, what is the end result listed as, plant or insect? Looks really cool, but the possibilities are a bit scary to me. Sort of like the whole clone thing. I can see good sides to it, but the dark side is really dark. Of course it wouldn't be too dark if it glows. LOL