Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Mega Thrive

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Chris
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Member's Country Flag

Default Mega Thrive

Hi, everyone.
    I just bought, and had delivered, a few of the most expensive orchids I have ever purchased. Inside the box was a free sample of Mega Thrive that is suppose to be a supplement to fertilizing. It is applied to the foliage, but can also be sprayed on the roots during repotting in order to stimulate growth.

It all sounds good, but wanted to check here first and get feedback before I start using it.

Real Name
    Glenn
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    n/a
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Chrisa, there used to be a product (not sure if its still around?) called Superthrive. It is basically vitamin B and was used for new or transplanted plants. I have never used it but I have heard of it before

Real Name
    Jeff Tucker
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

The vendor that you bought those orchids from has been encouraging growers to use Mega Thrive. First of all you should only use one growth stimulator on your orchids. Don't use Mega Thrive if you're already using a seaweed product or Superthrive or any of the other growth stimulating products. I used MegaThrive for a short time and there weren't any results that I noticed. I've been using a seaweed extract for years so I stopped using MegaThrive and went back to my old stuff. If you don't use any other growth stimulator, go ahead and use it at the dose recommended. I spray mine on the leaves, roots and top of the medium.

Real Name
    angela parris
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Dendrobium, Oncidium
    Member's Country Flag

Chrisa,
    I am not familliar with Mega Thrive but I have used SuperThrive.. I use it mostly when transplanting or as a soak for plants that have had a long journey from an overseas Nursery to my home. I also use it addedto fert. during the growing season. I have found it to be effective.

Real Name
    ed
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda,

thank you for posting this, I've been hearing about this product and was curious. I've used super thrive for the reasons Angela stated, Tucker mentioned seaweed extract which is one of my favorites and have seen the best results from. I have not found any negative comments about Mega Thrive

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

If I recall correctly, Mega Thrive is a boron and/or molybdenum supplement. Both nutrients are essential for the uptake of other nutrients, but frankly, if you use a decent fertilizer, your plants are getting plenty.

Where it gets most "play" is in institutional settings that, for the reason of budgetary constraint, tend to use a great deal of cheap, N-P-K-only blends, rather than complete formulas.