Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Phal root problem (rot?)

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Member's Country Flag

Default Phal root problem (rot?)

Hi guys,
    as you can see I am a newbie. I got my first orchid a few months ago from a friend but the poor plant has been kind of unlucky. First its beautiful flower stem broke and now its roots. I noticed a white fungus on some of the roots and the base of the plant was black so I decided to unpot, cut the rotten ones and repot. But when I took it out there were some white roots (are these good?) and all the others have black spots or breaks. I cut the ones with the hairy fungus and the ones you see are firm. Can it be saved? (Please say yes!) Any advice? I'll post some pictures to help your diagnosis.
    Name:  DSC_03672.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  260.0 KBName:  DSC_03682.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  241.8 KBName:  DSC_03692.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  266.9 KBName:  DSC_03702.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  252.3 KB

Thanks alot!

Real Name
    Jeff Tucker
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Yes it can be saved. Plant it in the smallest pot you can fit the roots in. A small plastic pot with lots of drainage holes is best. Overpotting (too large of a pot) kills a lot of phals. Use a chunky mix that will allow air to get to the roots (bark or coconut husk chips). You can use sphagnum moss but it's kind of tricky to grow in. Some people have luck with it and some don't. Water the plant in a sink where you can thoroughly soak it and then let it get almost completely dry between before watering again. Give it some fertilizer at about 1/4 strength every week or at least every two weeks (more often in the summer, less often in the winter). Give it the strongest light you can without allowing direct sunlight to hit the plant (bright shade). Direct light early in the morning won't burn it. Here's a link to the AOS culture sheet. Good luck.

http://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=204

Member's Country Flag

Thanks again, your comment gives me great joy! I had it in sphagnum but I think i overwatered it. What about the roots that are black? Do I leave them in or cut them? Should I use fungicide?

Real Name
    Jeff Tucker
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pillarG View Post
    Thanks again, your comment gives me great joy! I had it in sphagnum but I think i overwatered it. What about the roots that are black? Do I leave them in or cut them? Should I use fungicide?
    I wouldn't cut any more roots. If you live in the United States, there's a product called Physan 20 that's a mild fungicide/bacteriacide that can help keep fungus under control. You can use it at 1 teaspoon per gallon of water about once a month or so. Since you only have one orchid you can get a small bottle of Physan and mix 1/4 teaspoon to one quart of water. I use it once every month or two on my phals. Other orchids that grow drier usually don't need it.

Member's Country Flag

Ok, so I repotted in bark and I have two questions. 1) It seams to dry out in less than a day. Is that normal? The climate isn't that warm. 2) The bases of all the roots are black? Is it rot? And is it dangerous? The leaves look fine, plus there is a young one which continues to grow steadily.

Real Name
    Hank Johnson
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mostly Phals. (miniature)
    Member's Country Flag

Yes the mix should drain and not be soggy, that is the purpose of the open mix. That bein said I grow my phals. in mostly clay pots and water every other day, the plastic pots I wait alittle longer. You will get a good feeling of when to water by the weight and if the pots are clear by looking at roots themselves, Tucker gave you good advice if you follow that you will be fine. Good luck Hank......

Real Name
    Edmund
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags
    Member's Country Flag

Phals are very forgiving you just have to remember that large sized roots require more air whereas small roots require more moisture.

Ed

Real Name
    Sue Hayter
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Most!
    Member's Country Flag

tucker85, i live in Australia and have been advised to used a rose fungicide (well known here), to dip orchids in when re potting. I hope this is right! You say you used Physan 20 ( not available here), once a month or so. Do you just run it through the pots or what?! Have only just started re potting my own orchids myself armed with the knowledge gleaned from this forum.