Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: FredClarkeara After Dark --- Care!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Ana
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Member's Country Flag

Question FredClarkeara After Dark --- Care!

Hello!

I purchased this baby FDK. After Dark along with other orquids three days ago (I'm becoming an addict-- help!! ) . I was told I could leave it in that pot for a little while until I saw some more growth or I could repot it now using the same moss/mix it has but to put it in an open basket as it needs to completely dry out between waterings and to only water once a week if in the pot or 2-3 times a week if in the open basket depending on the outside weather. Also, to put it in shaded sun but that it could handle more light if I did it little by little.

Name:  20130219_104010.jpg
Views: 6965
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  20130219_163629.jpg
Views: 4383
Size:  90.9 KB

Name:  20130219_163612.jpg
Views: 3144
Size:  69.2 KB

I feel like the pot is already too tiny, plus, after reading different forum posts here about this type of orchid, I feel like everything they told me was wrong! The roots are already coming out of the bottom of the tiny pot... What do I do? How do I take care of this baby? They had some blooming ones at the show and they were so beautiful and so black I just had to have them! I am scared to ruin them and I would really really appreciate your help!!

A.

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Those are old roots coming out of the bottom, not new ones- you can tell that by the colour and appearance. New ones will have a bright green tip - handle with great care ! But that could possibly be a new one, just poking out at the side of an old one at the right hand side. If the new roots have got to the bottom, you can start watering.
    It looks as though the compost is just sphagnum - which can hold a lot of water, and you can let it get dry on top and still leave it for some days before watering again. These big bulbed plants have big bulbs to keep them going in dry spells . It will only need a lot of water when the growth is a lot bigger and the leaves start to spread out.

They can be happy in tiny pots, if watered with great care and more frequently than would be necessary in larger ones . I would have put a plant this size in say a 5 inch pot, but I prefer to do that before any growth starts so as to avoid any risk of root damage. If you do decide to pot on, ease it out after soaking, and carefully wrap the present root ball with damp sphagnum and ease into the new pot, and tuck the extra compost in - don't ram it. Air space is good ; these plants in the wild root into the rough open fibrous remains of fallen leaf stems on the "trunk" of palm trees.

Real Name
    Ana
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks Geoff! I am nervous about the tiny pot and nervous about re-potting it!! I also heard that they shed all the leaves when they bloom --- I know I am not even close to that happening --- but just as FYI... I don't need to water when the leaves are gone, right?

Ana

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

The leaves will start to turn yellow. Stop watering then.
    Some of this group flower when they have dropped all their leaves others flower whilst they still have them.
    Actually i have an example of this hybrid in my collection . The first time it flowered was after dropping its leaves, but last year it kept some leaves and still flowered.

[/FONTes,]