Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Is Cattleya dowiana a hard orchid to care for?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Chris
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Member's Country Flag

Default Is Cattleya dowiana a hard orchid to care for?

Hi, everyone.

I may have an opportunity to obtain a Cattleya dowiana var aurea, but am unsure if I am experienced enough to grow it properly. Although I truly want one, it is on my 'wish list', I do not want to get it just to kill it. The good news is that I am in the process of building my first greenhouse; my partner is tired of the orchids taking over the house.

This forum has given me some good advice on how to care for it, but I want to be mindful of the person who is giving me a cutting.

Is it a hard orchid to care for? I have come a long way in 18months, have a great network of orchid-geeks, and think I can care for it...But, should I?

It takes special care but if it is handles correctly then it is not overly difficult. It's roots want to dry out quickly. Therefore over potting is a big mistake. I would grow it in a clay pot or slat basket. If you are going to use pot culture leave only enough room for one new growth. It also likes to be kept dry when not in active growth. Keep it fairly dry during the cool short months of winter, until new growth starts in the spring

Real Name
    Tony
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Member's Country Flag

Short answer is YES, it's difficult to grow (in my own humble opinion, that is). It is one of the least (if not the least) cold-tolerant cattleya species, so it will sulk and rot easily in winter if kept too cool. At the same time it likes humid, steamy low-land jungle conditions but resents "soggy feet" despite needing lots of water. So, to stop the roots rotting you need to give it very good drainage, a small pot or a basket is best, don't over pot it as the extra medium in the pot will retain too much water and you must still remember to keep it in a humid spot.

I would advise you to grow some of its hybrids rather than the species itself. Many of them still have the golden colour and the amazingly coloured lip, but are much tougher and easier to grow than the Cattleya dowiana.

Real Name
    Kathi
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    How can I pick just one???
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ron-NY View Post
    It takes special care but if it is handles correctly then it is not overly difficult. It's roots want to dry out quickly. Therefore over potting is a big mistake. I would grow it in a clay pot or slat basket. If you are going to use pot culture leave only enough room for one new growth. It also likes to be kept dry when not in active growth. Keep it fairly dry during the cool short months of winter, until new growth starts in the spring
    Ron's advice is just what I have been told, and follow. After almost a year, I haven't killed mine yet, and while its not quite blooming size yet, it is growing.

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

Cattleya dowiana orchid plant should be grown in a medium like fir-bark with some partial sunlight. This orchid is intermediate to the warm growing orchid species. You can water it once a week; as this orchid plant can also be mounted.