Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: *** Challenge ***

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default *** Challenge ***

This is my challenge:

Can a "New World" epiphyte cross with an "Old World" epiphyte?

This may seem a strange question, but there are people who claim to have crossed New World terrestrials with Old World terrestrials. For example, Calopogon (US) with Bletilla (China). Also, Ted Green, a Hawaiian hybridizer specializing in Spathoglottis claims to have crossed Bletia (US) with Spathoglottis (SE Asia). Maybe even Cypripediums with Paphs, who knows.

But as far as I know there are no registrations for such a cross done between epiphytes.

My reasoning for this is that orchids evolved from terrestrials over 200 million years ago before the split of the continents. Sometime after the continents moved apart, orchids became more specialized. It seems natural, given the seeds are so light as to be carried by the wind and deposited anywhere, including the top of trees. Changes in weather might have made entire areas more densely populated by trees, causing orchids to adapt gradually.

Now, back to the challenge...

The obvious "easy one" might be either a Dendrophylax or a Polyradicion (ghost orchid) with an Angraecum, supposing that can be done. (Would that prove my thesis wrong?)

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Alex

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I'm nowhere near knowledgeable enough in this area to even begin to answer, but I'm looking forward to reading the posts of those who are. I imagine some of the other Evil Geniuses will have interesting things to say. Good challenge, amaximia.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

I'd like to see a long petalled phrag species crossed with paph sanderianum. I'm sure it wouldn't work, but ya never know...

But I'd also like ten million dollars and we all know the likelihood of that...

Default OK, I think I found a couple...

Cyrtellia (Cyrtl.) = [Ansellia x Cyrtopodium]

Grammatopodium (Grtp.) = [Cyrtopodium x Grammatophyllum]

Yeah, those are a couple of 'em. I started looking through the CymbidiumGate crossings a little while ago, as these span new and old worlds (Cymbidium complex - generally Asia; Zygo complex - South America). Then I tried to find pictures of these supposed crossings. Nothing! Then I got frustrated and stopped looking for a little while.

Grrrr.

You don't happen to have any photographic or real-life proof of Cyrtellia or Grammatopodium?