Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Greenhouse or not

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Chuck

Default Greenhouse or not

Hi all,

I am just getting started collecting orchids. I live in an apartment and only have a small balcony for my outdoor plants. I was wondering if I should invest in an indoor greenhouse. I have a couple phalaenopsis and plan to order various flasks and seedlings.

I am not quite sure when a greenhouse is to be used in orchid growing. Also, I would appreciate any advice on the proper type of greenhouse that may be suitable for indoors.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

If you are going to do flasks and seedlings, especially in an apartment, I'm guessing a nice indoor greenhouse (or two) might be nice. And you are going to need to plan for when they get larger because then space becomes an issue...and fast. lol I can't wait to see your set up. Now if you are going to do phals and oncids, a window shelf would work nicely with humidity trays. The seedlings though really have to be kept at specific temperatures, need set lengths of time for sun and dark cycles...so your greenhouse would be best "imho". I'm sure indoor growers will be much more help on lights, supplies, etc.

Welcome!!
    wow...big plans. A light cart with a greenhouse cover may be in order for you

Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Member's Country Flag

If you are just getting started in this obsession, then in all honesty, I believe I would recommend on holding off on flasks and very young/small seedlings. You might be best off "cutting your teeth",so to speak, first on a variety of mature orchids and large seedlings or near blooming size plants. Larger more mature plants tend to be far more forgiving of mistakes. Just my two cents worth.

Real Name
    Chuck

Thanks for the great advice. I am figuring out that the more I learn about orchids the more I realize how much there us to learn.

I currently have a light stand which I use for my non-orchid indoor plants and seedlings. I've seen a lot of the photos of member set-ups and they seem so intricate. I imagine I will end up buying a cheap indoor greenhouse to begin my, hopefully one day, decent collection.

Is there a negative to putting orchids in something like that? Is there a benefit to just windowsills or just lights?

Thanks again,
    Chuck.

I have a friend that grows in a light cart with humidity cover and added small fan for air circulation. I tried an indoor greenhouse, in front of a glass sliding door. with humidity trays. I think a light cart would have been a better option for light control.

Real Name
    Rich Weise
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya & Den.
    Member's Country Flag

Chuck, I also live in a apartment. I also have three cats, one of which likes to try to eat my orchids. I needed to set up my grow area in the basement which is off limits to the cats. I have adjustable wire shelving mounted to the back wall. T-5 high output low wattage lighting. Three vapororizers for added humidity. Two clear shower curtains to hold in the added humidity. Four fans for air circulation, all lights and fans on one timer and each vaporizer has its own timer. Since I did the first set up in Dec. 2012, I have had to make adjustments two times. This week end and I'll be adding more lights and one more shelf and at least one more fan. Once I get done with the lastest updates. I'll post a few photos. I would also agree about very young plants and seedlings, some will take a long time to mature enough to bloom. I'm into Cattleyas. I had to take 10 months off from growing. I lived in FL. and needed to move back to the Mid-West. I also am still learning about growing these amazing plants. Have Fun, Rich
    Last edited by rich63; May 13th, 2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Additional Content

Real Name
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Ron-NY View Post
    Welcome!!
    wow...big plans. A light cart with a greenhouse cover may be in order for you
    Ron,

This is exactly the kind of thing I was imagining! I just didn't know what it was called. Sounds perfect for my situation.

Rich,

Your cats were eating your Cattleyas?

Thanks everyone for the help. Now I feel like I have at least some direction to get started.

I believe it is actually called a humidity cover. If you google light cart and humidity cover you get some hits