Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: What to do with spikes?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Sylvia

Default What to do with spikes?

I'm very happy to say that I've had my phal for a year now and she's doing really well. The orchid had two secondary spikes which had 3 and 5 blooms. One spike has now lost all its blossoms and the second spike has one flower left.

I know I now need to cut the spikes from the bottom somewhere once the blossoms are gone.....can you please advise how?

Also, I have a slotted plastic pot and two of the roots are squeezing through the slits. I don't suppose there's anything I can do about that?

Thank you for your help.

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda

i only cut the spikes if the tip dies out. most of the time if it stays green, it will eventually grow some more buds. if the tip does die, then i cut it back just below the first old flower notch. the little bracts that show like a join on the stem can produce a new branch sometimes. some people just cut the old spike off, assuming that the plant will grow a new stronger spike because it is not wasting energy to produce new buds on the old spike. i have had some put out new spikes while the old one was still going though, so i'm not sure how critical that is.

Real Name
    Sylvia

Thanks Night Bloomer. The secondary spike and the original spike number 1 is starting to turn a peachy brown. That one has no flowers left. Spike number 2 and its secondary spike is still green as it still has one flower left. I doubt very much that the existing spikes will grow more spikes at this point. So I'm not clear as to where the original spike should be cut. Thanks!

Real Name
    Katherine
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Too new to tell
    Member's Country Flag

When you re-pot you can take a sharp knife and cut the roost. Sprinkle with cinnamon and pot it up. It isn't hurting anything. orchids are epiphyes and their roos go where ever.

Real Name
    Rich Weise
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya & Den.
    Member's Country Flag

Not a good idea to put cinnamon on orchid roots. This will cause them to dry out and will cause them to die. Cinnamon is a great for fungus and bacteria above the medium. Not to be use on the roots though. Take Care, Rich
    Last edited by rich63; June 18th, 2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum, Phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by New Orchid Lover View Post
    Thanks Night Bloomer. The secondary spike and the original spike number 1 is starting to turn a peachy brown. That one has no flowers left. Spike number 2 and its secondary spike is still green as it still has one flower left. I doubt very much that the existing spikes will grow more spikes at this point. So I'm not clear as to where the original spike should be cut. Thanks!
    The existing green spike may grow a secondary spike at one of the "nodes" on the bloom stem-sometimes if you look closely you can see a dormant bud on one. Again, it is your choice to leave it and see if a secondary spike will grow, or to cut the whole thing of at the base and wait for it to bloom next year in it's normal blooming season. Any time you cut something on an orchid plant you should sterilize the blade to prevent spreading any diseases to your other orchids. The easiest way to sterilize is with a flame, either a blow torch or just a cigarette lighter with the flame turned up on high. Just be sure you get the blade really hot.